Friday, September 10, 2010
Rapid Reaction: Saints top Vikings
The defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints opened up the 2010 NFL season with a 14-9 win over the Minnesota Vikings in a rematch of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.
• Defending Super Bowl champions have now won their season opener in each of the last 11 seasons since the Denver Broncos lost a Week 1 matchup to the Miami Dolphins in 1999.
• Drew Brees finishes 27-for-36 for 237 yards and a 29-yard TD pass to Devery Henderson. It's Brees' 43rd TD pass of 25 or more yards since joining the Saints in 2006, which is the most in the NFL over that span.
• Since joining the Saints in 2006, Brees has 15 games with a completion percentage of 75 percent or better. Only Peyton Manning has more games in that span.
• It was Henderson's 18th career TD and 12th of 25 or more yards. Brees and Henderson have hooked up for 11 TD of over 25 yards since 2006. Only the Romo-Owens and Brady-Moss combos have accounted for more such scores over that span.
• New Orleans has won three straight and five of its last six season openers.
• Brett Favre goes 15-for-27 for 171 yards with a TD and an interception. It's his 498th career TD and 318th career interception, both NFL records.
• Visanthe Shiancoe catches four passes for 76 yards and a TD, his 19th since 2008 (third most in NFL behind Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald).
• Adrian Peterson's (19 Rush, 87 Yds) streak of 100-yard rushing games in three straight season openers is snapped.
• The Vikings have now lost two straight vs the Saints (including postseason) following a four-game win streak vs New Orleans.
• The teams combine for 23 points and 561 yards after combining for 59 points and 732 yards in last year's NFC Championship Game.