Saturday, September 25, 2010
Big day for Michigan quarterbacks
Let's take a look at some of the notes from Saturday's early action:
No. 21 Michigan 65, Bowling Green 21
• Michigan Wolverines' QB Denard Robinson compiled 188 yards of total offense in the first quarter before leaving the game with an unspecified injury to his left knee. He was replaced, first by Devin Gardner (7-10, 85 yards, TD) and then by Tate Forcier (12-12, 110 yards, TD).
• Robinson ran for 128 yards on five carries. Over the last five seasons, only West Virginia Mountaineers' running back Noel Devine has run for more yards on five or fewer carries among FBS players. Devine ran for 136 yards on five carries against the Maryland Terrapins in 2007.
• Forcier becomes only the third FBS player since 2004 to complete all of his passes with a minimum of 10 attempts. The last was Fresno State's Ryan Colburn (14-14 vs Idaho) last season.
• The Wolverines' quarterbacks combined to complete 88.5 percent of their passes, the second-highest number in school history, minimum 10 attempts.
• The 65 points are the most Michigan has scored since hanging 69 on Illinois in 1986.
No. 11 Wisconsin 70, Austin Peay 3
• The Wisconsin Badgers score a school-record 70 points and win by a school-record 67-point margin.
• Running back John Clay rushed for 118 yards, passing Rufus Ferguson for ninth place on the school's career rushing list. He also increased his career yards per carry average to 5.59, and is now second in school history behind Ron Dayne (5.84).
• The Badgers gained over 600 yards in total offense (618) for the first time since gaining 601 at Indiana in 2008.
• The Badgers have now won 28 straight regular season games against non-conference opponents, which is tied for the second-longest active streak in the country with USC. The Badgers are 15-0 in non-conference home games under head coach Bret Bielema and have outscored their opponents 562-235 in those games.
No. 18 Iowa 45, Ball State 0
• The Iowa Hawkeyes bounce back from last week's loss at the Arizona Wildcats and improve to 15-2 at home since the start of the 2008 season.
• Adam Robinson ran for two TD after being held to just five yds and zero TD by Arizona. It's his third career multi-TD game. He topped the 100-yard mark for the fifth time in his career.
• The Hawkeyes had been 0-3 over the previous three seasons in the game after their first loss.
• The Ball State Cardinals are now 1-21 all-time against the Big Ten.
No. 25 Michigan State 45, Northern Colorado 7
• Kirk Cousins went 16-20 for 290 yards and 2 touchdowns as the Michigan State Spartans improved to 4-0 for the first time since 2007.
• This is the first win for interim head coach Don Treadwell, who stepped in after Mark Dantonio suffered a mild heart attack last weekend.
• Michigan State ran for 200 yards for the fourth straight game. They had just one 200-yard rush game last season.
• Michigan State has played just two FCS schools in its history. They have won both games by a combined score of 89-10 (beat Montana State 44-3 last season).
• Northern Colorado is 0-3 all-time against Big Ten teams.