Sunday, September 26, 2010
Mike Wallace stars in 60 minutes
Eleven wide receivers were drafted ahead of Mike Wallace in the 2009 NFL Draft – including Pat White, who is no longer in the NFL and is now trying to make it as a baseball player with the Kansas City Royals. In the Pittsburgh Steelers' 38-13 rout of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Wallace did what only four other players have done in franchise history, and that's have two 40-yard touchdown receptions in the same game.
• From the Elias Sports Bureau: Brett Favre has won all 18 home starts he’s made against the Detroit Lions in his career (3-0 at Milwaukee County Stadium; 13-0 at Lambeau Filed; 2-0 at Mall of America Field). That is, by far, the most home wins without a loss any QB has had against one opponent since 1970. Next-best is Terry Bradshaw (11-0 against the Cleveland Browns).
• The New England Patriots beat the Buffalo Bills for the 14th straight time, which is the longest active win streak against one opponent. From the Elias Sports Bureau: Tom Brady has now won each of his last 22 home starts. Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, only one quarterback has registered a longer regular-season home win streak in their starts: Favre (25 straight from 1996 to 1998).
• The Tennessee Titans have now won their last 10 games against NFC opponents. That’s the longest active win streak in interconference games.
• Despite losing in overtime, the New Orleans Saints' Drew Brees threw his third career touchdown pass of at least 80 yards (to Lance Moore). All three of his TD passes of 80 yards or more have come with the Saints and they have gone to three different receivers. In 2006, Brees threw an 86-yard TD pass to Marques Colston, and in 2008 he connected with Devery Henderson on an 84-yard TD.
• The Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson rushed for 160 yards and two touchdowns in their win over the Lions. It's the seventh time Peterson has rushed for at least 100 yards and had two rushing touchdowns in the same game -- surpassing Chuck Foreman's previous team mark of six such games.