Stats & Info: Jim Mora
December, 26, 2012
By ESPN Stats & Information | ESPN.com
Ezra Shaw/Getty ImagesBrett Hundley has aired it out for UCLA this season.The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl matchup between the Baylor Bears and No. 17 UCLA Bruins should be a high-scoring affair.
Baylor is one of the fastest and most efficient offenses in the country and UCLA has been adept at playing high-scoring games, winning all four in which both teams scored at least 28 points.
Here are five stats to know on this contest, scheduled for 9:45 PM ET on Thursday.
1. Jim Mora has won nine games in his first year as UCLA head coach and could notch a 10th win in this one. He’s the first UCLA head coach to win as many as nine games in his first year since UCLA coaching legend Terry Donahue in 1976, who went 9-2-1.
No UCLA coach has ever won 10 games in his first season.
2. UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley needs 60 passing yards to break the school’s single-season passing record, set by Cade McNown in 1998.
Hundley has connected often with tight end Joseph Fauria, who has 41 catches this season, 11 of them for touchdowns. Fauria’s 11 touchdowns are the most in the nation by a tight end
3. UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin has consistently moved the chains this season. He ranks second in the FBS behind Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey for number of rushes gaining 10 yards or more (54 to Carey’s 58) and number of rushes to gain a first down (52 to Carey’s 56).
Franklin has gained 648 of his 1,700 yards (38 percent) after contact this season. He has gotten stronger as the game progresses, averaging four yards after contact per rush in the fourth quarter, compared to 2.1 per rush in the first three.
4. Baylor starting quarterback Nick Florence has averaged more total yards per game (387.7) this season than his predecessor Robert Griffin III (384.0) averaged in his Heisman-winning season in 2011.
Griffin accounted for 47 touchdowns (37 via pass, 10 by run); Florence has accounted for 40 (31 by pass, nine by run).
The key will be keeping Florence protected. Baylor is 6-1 when allowing one sack or fewer, 1-4 when allowing more than one sack.
UCLA is fourth in FBS with 44 sacks this season and has multiple sacks in 12 of its 13 games.
However, the Bruins defense may be susceptible to Baylor's big-play offense. UCLA has allowed 36 plays of 30 yards or more this season, fourth-most among BCS-AQ schools
5. Baylor’s Terrance Williams needs 236 yards to become the second 2,000-yard receiver in FBS history. He’s had one game in his career with that many receiving yards- earlier this season against West Virginia.
Williams leads FBS with 32 receptions of at least 20 yards, nine more than any FBS player. He’s five receptions away from 100 this season. He’ll likely end up the all-time leader in yards-per-catch among receivers with at least 100 catches in a season. He’s currently averaging 18.6. The record of 16.7 was set by Troy Edwards of Louisiana Tech in 1997.
-- Brett Perrotta contributed research to this post.