Ravens 10, Jets 9
The Monday Night Football season debut was a defensive battle which featured four turnovers, 19 penalties and a lone touchdown. It was fitting that even the touchdown was just a one-yard run (by Willis McGahee). Let's dig into some of the notes, stats and trends from this game.
• The Baltimore Ravens have now won six straight against the Jets. That is their longest active win streak against any opponent.
Most Rec Yds in Season Opener
• Anquan Boldin caught seven balls for 110 yards in his Raven's debut. His 110 receiving yards are the second-most ever by a Raven in the team's season-opening game. Michael Jackson owns that record with 143 receiving yards in the Ravens' 1997 season-opener.
• Also of note is the fact that Boldin accomplished this against the Jets' defense. Only one player had at least 100 receiving yards in a game against the Jets last season. That was Wes Welker.
• The Jets committed 14 penalties for 125 yards. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the team's most penalty yards since Nov. 6, 1988. That day they were whistled for 127 penalty yards against the Colts.
• Mark Sanchez completed 10 of his 21 pass attempts for 74 yards. That's the second-fewest pass yards he's had in a game (he had 63 in Week 17 37-0 win over Cincinnati).
• Joe Flacco was 9-for-14 for 137 yards on third down, leading to nine first downs. Mark Sanchez was 1-for-6 for nine yards and one first down.
• The Jets' 176 total yards are their fewest in a game since Dec. 26, 2005 when they had 171 yards in a Monday Night Football loss to the Patriots.