Podcast: Kennedy, Pierre and sombreros
We closed another fine week on the Baseball Today podcast as Mark Simon and I discussed many interesting and fun stats and topics, including these:
1. The Phillies topped the Brewers, but the names will probably be different if they meet in October. Does this series have more significance than most?
2. On an otherwise slow Thursday, Ian Kennedy continued his winning ways... so why isn’t he getting more Cy Young consideration?
3. Juan Pierre picks up hit No. 2,000, but how should the speedy outfielder’s career -- and season -- be interpreted?
4. We discuss the baseball term “golden sombrero” and its potential relevance to a recent Baltimore Orioles game.
5. Two notable weekend series could make the pennant races a lot more interesting, but only if the Rays and Cardinals simply don’t lose.
Plus: Excellent emails, more on Jerome Williams, Justin Verlander and misunderstood closer Jose Valverde, one-out victories and other wild stats and much more -- including Super Bowl picks! -- on a fun and packed Friday edition of Baseball Today. Enjoy your weekend!