Links: Fun with uniform names
May, 24, 2012
By David Schoenfield | ESPN.com
- Paul Lukas has a piece up on Robert Griffin III becoming the first player to wear Roman numerals on his jersey. But in that piece he has some cool stuff on baseball players who wore nicknames on their jerseys. My favorite: One year, Johnnie LeMaster had been getting booed so much he wore "BOO" on the back of his jersey for a game.
- Johnette Howard has a nice piece on Rays outfielder Rich Thompson -- living the big league dream at age 33.
- Don't give up hope, Phillies fans! Bill Baer gives you some reasons for optimism.
- Catching up with Rusty Staub. The Mets have Staub bobblehead day this weekend.
- Here's an interview with new Red Sox director of player developoment Ben Crockett -- a former minor league pitcher who also happens to hold an economics degree from Harvard.
- Hey, I'm not the only one pumping up the Indians! ESPN Insider Ben Lindbergh writes why this season's Clevelanders will hold up better than the 2011 version. And FanGraphs' Dave Cameron says Cleveland is now the team to beat in the AL Central.
- Astros pitchers are getting the job done.
- Jim Tracy in a nutshell. Look, I expected the Rockies to be bad this year. But I don't think the Rockies expected to be bad. It may not be long before that leash snaps.
- ESPN Insider Kevin Goldstein explains how Scott Boras can exploit the draft this year.
- A Braves Q&A from Capitol Avenue Club.