Links: Wild-card and playoff edition
October, 5, 2012
By David Schoenfield | ESPN.com
Buster Olney's Insider blog has the keys to winner-to-take-all games, an excellent primer to today's matchups. Here are some other pieces to check out:
- Amanda Rykoff with a fun look at the playoffs, from A to Z.
- Our friends at Camden Depot have a podcast up previewing the Orioles' wild-card game.
- While Kris Medlen's changeup has been a lethal out pitch, Ben Duronio at Capitol Avenue Club suggests Medlen's curveball could be the key pitch against the Cardinals.
- The Rangers turn to Yu Darvish, writes Jean-Jacques Taylor at ESPNDallas. One reason for his success down the stretch: Increased use of his cutter.
- Joey Matschulat with a look back at Josh Hamilton's key dropped fly ball that helped sink the Rangers into the wild-card game: "Hamilton was also bad at the dish yesterday, going 1-for-5 with three strikeouts, and even though he hit very well during September/October on the whole, his late-month downturn ... the ocular keratitis incident, and yesterday's events make for a pretty miserable ending to a season that vacillated between Hall of Fame-caliber and sub-replacement level ... a season where public opinion has swung violently back and forth for a multitude of reasons, and now finally seems to be settling on "yeah, peace out Josh."
- Josh Hamilton has been killing fastballs over the past two months. ESPN Stats & Info on the best way to get him out.
- Jason Wojciechowski looks at what the A's roster for their Division Series showdown against Detroit should be.
- Steve Mancuso at Redleg Nation previews the Reds-Giants Division Series.
- Chris Quick asks: Should Barry Zito start in the postseason?
- Andrew Marchand asks: Should the Yankees root for the Orioles or Rangers?
- The Nationals don't know their opponent yet, but Harper Gordek looks at how the Stephen Strasburg shutdown hurts the Nationals.