Thursday, September 29, 2011
Why the Yankees can win it all
By Bexy and Tamar Chalker
1. Their offense is really good. In terms of wRC+, they're second among playoff teams to only the Rangers, and they're the best in baseball against lefties. That could prove to be a big in potential matchups with Texas and Philadelphia.
2. CC Sabathia gives them a chance to win every game he pitches, and Joe Girardi will have no problem using the big horse on short rest whenever he feels the need to.
3. The back end of the bullpen is very deep. Mariano Rivera and David Robertson were two of the best relievers in baseball, and Rafael Soriano has been pretty good since returning from the DL in July. If these three can dominate at the back end of the game, it could do a lot to bolster a shaky corps of starters.
4. This is a group that's been here before. Not to rely too much on cliché, but the Yankees' roster is loaded with postseason experience, so there shouldn't be any concern about stage fright, or any reason to worry about players being overwhelmed by the moment.
5. You know what? Maybe it's just their year. This was a team that was supposed to have critical starting pitching problems, that was supposed to have no chance of beating the Red Sox, and yet Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia held up all season, Ivan Nova surprised everyone and they finished with the best record in the American League. Why shouldn't the magic continue into October?
Bexy and Tamar Chalker are contributors to It's About the Money, Stupid, our SweetSpot Network blog on the Yankees.