|ESPN.com: SweetSpot||[Print without images]|
• As Charles P. Pierce writes in Slate, Manny Ramirez's return has revealed our true attitude about baseball's drug war.
• Can you monetize a blown call? Beyond the Box Score's Jack Moore gives it one hell of a shot.
• Can you predict injuries? It looks like Stan Conte and the Dodgers are giving it one hell of a shot (and I'm sure they're not alone).
• This news is shocking, I tell you; just shocking. (Unfortunately, his boy's not enjoying 2009, either.)
• So soon after two other vivid takedowns, Joe Posnanski finds another reason to rip the Royals' front office. In case I haven't said this before ... When you've lost Posnanski and Jazayerli, you're probably doing something seriously wrong.
• From Hardball Cooperative, lists of the greatest baseball novels (including one of I'd never heard of, let alone read; so that's useful) and the greatest baseball non-fiction.
• Earlier this week, I mentioned in passing that Gene Carney had passed away. He deserved better than a passing mention; this is better.
• Here's a fun little quiz about some particularly vexing baseball rules. I missed most of them.