SweetSpot: Randy Levine
• Brian McCann's on the DL, and he's not the only one. As a friend points out, this has been a rough spring for superstar catchers. McCann's out, Joe Mauer hasn't played yet, and Russell Martin is hitting .238/.342/.302. Meanwhile (and here's my favorite part), the Throwing Molina Brothers are both batting well over .300 (with power!).
• Lately one of my most excellently favorite writers is Portland's Carson Cistulli, and I'm not just saying that because, in his latest, he describes me as an ubermensch (though that does help). Here's his latest.
• Everybody's talking about Zack Greinke, but he's not Kansas City's only starter with a 0.00 ERA; tonight Brian Bannister goes into his start against the Jays with the same mark, and what better preview than the first Banny Log of 2009?
• What's that? You've always wanted to read 3,415 words on the powder-blue craze that spread throughout the major leagues in the 1970s and '80s? Well, I've got just the thing for you.
• Alan Schwarz with a solid profile of Josh Beckett (though it read better before Beckett got hammered by the Yankees; he's now got a lovely 6.00 ERA and he's issued 13 walks in 24 innings).
• Is it too early to write off the Diamondbacks? Before the Dodgers re-signed Manny Ramirez, the 'backs were my faves in the NL West. But given this news and now this, I have a hard time seeing them winning more than 84 or 85 games. Which doesn't figure to be enough.
• The Mets' pitching problems? Consider them solved! They've DFA'd Casey Fossum, they've called up a 40-year-old relief pitcher, and they might demote a starter making $12 million to the bullpen. Excelsior!