Buccaneers Camp Report: Day 9
August, 4, 2014
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
TAMPA, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp:
- The Bucs continue to experiment with their defensive linemen. They've been giving defensive end Adrian Clayborn some work at defensive tackle. “He's been taking reps all throughout,'' coach Lovie Smith said. “We want to see what players can do. Sometimes a defensive end is a lot quicker and you can get him inside and get a lot of plays when they get against some of the bigger, slower interior lineman. We're a new staff and we want to give guys a chance to show what they can do at as many positions as possible.''
- The Buccaneers worked on something they didn't have a chance to do much of last season Monday night. They worked on having a lead late in the game. The offense worked on running out the clock. At the same time, the defense worked on trying to get the ball back.
- Linebacker Brandon Magee drew the wrath of wide Vincent Jackson. Magee hit running back Mike James after he was clearly out of bounds. Jackson, a captain last year, got in Magee's face and gave him an earful.
- Cornerback Alterraun Verner, cornerback Mike Jenkins, defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and tight end Luke Stocker missed practice due to injuries. Center Josh Allen left practice after suffering an undisclosed injury. Starting center Evan Dietrich-Smith returned to practice after missing a few days with injuries.
- With Verner and Jenkins out, Danny Gorrer has been getting a lot of first-team work at cornerback. Gorrer also is a candidate for the nickelback job.
- The play of the day was a pass that Josh McCown drilled to Vincent Jackson in traffic.
- The Bucs waived wide receiver David Gettis with an injury settlement and signed former University of South Florida safety Mark Joyce.
- The Bucs are scheduled to practice at 4:30 p.m. ET Tuesday.