- Pat Yasinskas, ESPN Tampa Bay Buccaneers reporter
- 0 Shares
Some random thoughts on Tampa Bay Buccaneers' training camp, which ended Thursday:
• Don't worry that quarterback Josh McCown didn't have a good preseason debut. He'll be fine. He looked sharp throughout camp. McCown has a better arm and is more athletic than I thought. He also is a natural leader. This guy might be able to be more than a game manager -- if his offensive line can give him some help.
• I'm starting to think fans and media take Vincent Jackson for granted. If there was a Most Valuable Player in this camp, it was Jackson. The wide receiver seemed to make big plays in every practice.
• Rookie running back Charles Sims is going to be at least a nice player, but he needs to be really good to validate his drafting. Sims was taken in the third round even though the Bucs didn't have a big need at running back. They had a big need at guard and could have gotten a quality one in the third round.
• Speaking of running backs, I think Doug Martin showed the new coaching staff he can catch passes better than it thought.
• I'm curious to see what happens at cornerback. Alterraun Verner is penciled in as one starter. The No. 2 job is between Mike Jenkins and Johnthan Banks. Jenkins missed most of camp with a hamstring injury and Banks peformed well. Jenkins doesn't automatically become the nickelback because it looks like that job is going to Leonard Johnson. Jenkins could end up being an expensive fourth cornerback.
Some random thoughts on Tampa Bay Buccaneers' training camp, which ended Thursday:• Don't worry that quarterback Josh McCown didn't have a good preseason debut.