Pre-Game 5 Hotness
April, 27, 2011
By Kevin Arnovitz
- What happened to Thaddeus Young, one of the main stories of the series coming out of Game 1? Tom Sunnergren of Philadunkia has put out a missing persons report: "After putting up a ws48 (win score per 48 minutes) of 12 in game one (the average power forward posts a 10.3, the average small forward a 7.3), Thad posted a 0 in game two, fell into the negative range with a -7.6 in game three, and rebounded slightly with a soft 6 in game four."
- The Heat have imperfect choices at point guard (Mike Bibby or Mario Chalmers or neither) and center (Zyrunas Ilgauskas or Joel Anthony or neither). Michael Levin of Liberty Ballers catalogs the various places in the Sixers' rotation where a few question marks still exist, such as Jodie Meeks or Evan Turner at shooting guard.
- Graydon Gordian predicts a "gentleman's sweep" tonight at AmericanAirlines Arena. Definition? n. "a series in which a team wins comfortably but still graciously allows its opponent to win one game."
- Asked about whether it was important to have three full days off rather than one before a semifinal series against the Celtics, LeBron James responded, "Just finishing our breakfast," a quip that's making the rounds Wednesday afternoon. To fill out the context, James said, "Just finishing our breakfast. Just finishing the 76ers off. Not looking ahead to the next round. Just finishing these guys off. It's a very good team we're playing against. It's going to take the collective group -- all of us -- to close this series out and we look forward to the challenge. Then we'll worry about the next series once we close them out."
- Erik Spoelstra at Wednesday's shootaround: "When we watched the film, it made everyone a little sick to see the lack of attention to detail and urgency in order to close out that series up in Philly in Game 4."
- The good folks at Basketball Prospectus bring you the 2nd annual Internet Basketball Awards.
- Glen Davis tells Paul Flannery of WEEI's Green Street that the Celtics have more depth than the Heat: "I feel like our bench is way stronger than theirs,” Davis said. “We’re way deeper than them. We just have to make sure we use our depth."
- Depending on your perspective, "The Decision" might have failed public relations experiment or a questionable display of narcissism. Nine months later, it's paying serious dividends to Boys & Girls Clubs in northeast Ohio. Mark Gillispie of The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that clubs in the area have received about $480,000: "A contribution of nearly $60,000 repaired a leaky roof, refurbished a dingy gymnasium and will pay for a new playground at the Mount Pleasant club on East 131st Street. And the Slavic Village club on Broadway received $70,000, which was used to install a new gym floor and purchase bleachers ... The Elyria club received $110,000, money that is paying for a new fitness center and improvements to the basketball court. The club also is getting 15 new computers ... James' $240,000 contribution to the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Western Reserve, which covers Summit County, will pay for the creation of a new club in Akron's Joy Park neighborhood."