August, 3, 2010
By Henry Abbott
- Hedo Turkoglu, in Phoenix, may find himself playing a lot more post defense than he has in the past. An intense and smart breakdown of how Turkoglu guards the post.
- The off-season is about adding new moves, and Glen Davis is hard at work (PG-13). Also, is there an NBA player who is more ready for Dancing with the Stars?
- This is a hilarious Mary Carillo rant about badminton from the archives. If you listen carefully, it does technically include mention of basketball, which is justification enough for me to include it here. Also, it begs the question: How many basketballs do you own? She says she has about 18. I have three, I think. Maybe four. There's one here in the office, in fact. That's one that was worn out five years ago, and always seemed a little undersized. At some point it was clear we had more basketballs than we needed, and this was the one that had to go. I'm not sentimental about possessions like that. I'll throw away all kinds of stuff. But somehow, I just couldn't throw that thing away! So I dribbled it around for a few days, then stuck it in the office, which is kind of like finding an old race horse a spot at some nice farm. Why is it to hard to throw away a basketball?
- Tom Haberstroh on ESPN New York: "[Kelenna] Azubuike provides the Knicks with some much-needed depth at the shooting guard position with a real shot of beating Wilson Chandler for the starting gig. Why? Simply put, Azubuike can shoot and Chandler can’t."
- For no good reason: A picture of young Joakim Noah, who, as it happens, looks shockingly like the current Joakim Noah.
- Players who have gotten under the Lakers' skin.
- Derrick Rose's jumper does appear to have more arc than in the past, but Matt McHale of Bulls By the Horns hopes it doesn't keep him from getting to the line more.
- There won't be vuvuzelas at the world championships in Turkey at the end of the month, because of health concerns. But that doesn't mean you can't watch the Voodoo Sellers "Blow that Vuvuzela" video once more.
- The Secret Service somehow does not seem to know about TrueHoop. Yet.
- Reviewing the deals John Hammond has made since taking over the Bucks.
- A video visit with the best game in Timberwolves history.
- Oh wow: a brutal hoops parable about how dumb it is to quit.
- Phil Jackson knows how to handle a championship hat.
- Laker owner Dr. Jerry Buss has had unmatched success in sports. How can a man who does so much right get the hair so wrong?