October, 28, 2010
By Henry Abbott
- Brendan Jackson of Celtics Hub on losing to the Cavaliers: "Last night was not Celtic basketball. Or was it?"
- A Laker fan wrings his hands over the fact that advanced stats prefer the Heat and LeBron James to the Lakers and Kobe Bryant. It's pitched as an intuition vs. machine debate, but I don't see the stats movement that way at all. Instead, I think everyone agrees the only contest that matters takes place in June. In the meantime, the question is, in clumsily predicting what will happen then (and stats or no, all such predictions are clumsy) do you want to use all of the best available information, or not? That's the debate about stats in the NBA, if there still is one.
- Kevin Love -- perhaps the best player in the NBA in the preseason -- sat almost all of the second half of a close game that the Timberwolves lost to the Kings by a mere point. In crunch time, the 'Wolves had played some ugly basketball. The story was that Anthony Tolliver was playing better, but it's certainly odd.
- Russell Westbrook, at full speed. (Via Daily Thunder)
- Two bad choices: Does Kevin Durant have a stalker, or is everything on the internet a cheesy attempt to drive revenues to big corporations? While we're on that topic ... Have you seen Dwyane Wade's mysterious Dominate Another Day campaign? When I saw that, I immediately thought of his recent tweet about entering a new phase of his life, as a father. I'll bet you ten bucks that when this whole thing is resolved it has something to do with those D.A.D. initials in the name of the campaign.
- It takes a village to create a vastly oversized, garish, Winnebago of a ring. Has anybody ever noticed that people outside of athletics and fraternities and maybe the military, nobody ever wears jewelry shaped like that? (Via Lakers Blog)
- Monta Ellis is amazing when he can't miss.
- Wesley Johnson welcomes himself to the NBA with a nice ol' dunk.
- The Andray Blatche bobblehead loves burritos.
- Devin Harris lost the ball on one of the game's biggest plays, but stayed after it and, thanks to Rip Hamilton's half-hearted steal attempt, created a career highlight for Anthony Morrow.
- Watch Dwyane Wade after Evan Turner embarrasses him with a crossover. He's clearly torn between complaining about something -- a carry, perhaps? -- and trying to honor the new technical rules.
- The Spurs are playing fast and loose.
- Getting to know someone who has been a stat geek for various NBA teams since the 1980s.
- Police and firefighters will stage a rally that is likely to make attending Friday night's Heat home opener a hassle.
- How to get to the rim.
- The play that almost got the Pistons a game-tying 3 from the corner at the buzzer.
- The play that almost got the Raptors a game-tying 3 from the corner at the buzzer.