January, 26, 2011
By Henry Abbott
- A treasure trove of opinions arguing that Derrick Rose is or is not the leading candidate for MVP. I think it's an accomplishment for Rose to even get into conversations like this, no matter your criteria. He's a pretty bad defender on the NBA's seventh-best team, and he's not even among the very best producers on offense, ranking 14th in PER. Dumb ol' points per game can sometimes get someone a magic pass, but even there he's seventh. I'm not saying any of those metrics are gospel. I'm saying the best player in the league ought to really stand out at something, and being the most exciting player and leading scorer on a good team in a big market is not enough.
- Ben Gordon takes a lot of tough shots. That hurts his offensive efficiency. But does that help, or hurt, the Pistons?
- Maybe not the time for this, Cleveland, but remember that being really really bad is actually better, for rebuilding, than being kind of bad.
- The state of the NBA union is Blake Griffin.
- Baron Davis is concerned Rick Carlisle may have missed a meal.
- When David West sets a screen for Chris Paul, most defenses gear up to prevent an attack on the hoop. But the most likely outcome is David West's deadly mid-range jumper, which he tends to shoot wide open. That suggests a different defensive tactic.
- TrueHoop reader John tells me that there's a DC area rapper whose real name is Kwame Darko. As John explains it: "KWAME DARKO!!!!!"
- Having to pick centers, intead of "bigs," is royally screwing up the All-Star selection process (Insider).
- Avery Johnson preaches the Nets gospel in Brooklyn.
- In case you thought there was no crying in basketball. Grab a box of tissues and read about Nate the Great.
- Stephen Curry trying to guard an elite point guard is a foul waiting to happen. Ethan Sherwood Strauss of Warriors World: "So how can [Monta] Ellis possibly be worse? He often gets caught out of position, often jumps into a fray for a steal attempt, often tries to play passing lanes when passing lanes are playing him. Monta’s freelance positioning can eat at the integrity of the unit -- like if you decided to take an airplane wing and glue it to the aircraft’s nose."
- Watch how LaMarcus Aldridge didn't score against the Kings. And how the Kings could play much better defense.
- Lamar Odom could not get more arc on this shot.
- Serge Ibaka just happened to be hanging out watching dunk contest footage. On camera. At the moment Kevin Durant offered a heavily staged invite to participate in this year's contest. Ibaka did a valiant job of faking surprise. Being an NBA player is not easy.
- How not to get into a Blake Griffin poster.
- Listen to Bret LaGree.
- Among those selected last in the NBA draft, Semih Erden has a shot at becoming the greatest.
- Wow, this is one strange story about an overseas owner apparently managing playing time.
- Is Dwight Howard a real MVP candidate?