February, 24, 2011
By Henry Abbott
- Nets GM Billy King on WFAN: "I’ve spoken to Deron. He’s excited and ecstatic. The one concern is his wife is due and having a baby, but he’s excited and ready to go. I told him what we have, $19 million in cap space this summer, we still have picks. ... I said, 'We’re going to build something special and you’re going to help lead us this way.' And he’s excited about it." (Via Sports Radio Interviews)
- The Wizards are stockpiling draft picks, as their owner explains in a thoughtful post about trading Kirk Hinrich. (Also, Mike Bibby can't wear No. 10, which has been really important to him. Issue.)
- A lot of the power NBA players enjoy today derives from the ABA.
- When Chicago fans say Derrick Rose has been carrying the team without any help, they're right that he has been fantastic, but wrong that the team's improvement comes from one guy. The team's improvement comes largely from the NBA's best defense, which works when Rose is on the floor or not. (The Bulls outscore opponents handily when Rose is on the bench.) The improvement in the Bulls is an amazing case for Tom Thibodeau as coach of the year. That's where the conversation starts, but we're blind to that 'cause we're used to thinking offense.
- Who knows about Carmelo Anthony? Edgar Allen Poe knows about Carmelo Anthony.
- Wow. Allstate vs. the idea of LeBron James.
- Mark Cuban is upset that the Hornets are dipping into his pocket, essentially, for Carl Landry. Is he right?
- One day soon we'll have NBA highlights in this resolution and it will be awesome. It will also change the game. Who'd argue with a referee watching that?
- Somebody should get Reggie Evans, who is literally the best rebounder in the NBA this season.
- Daryl Morey has his trading hat on.
- Game-winning dunks are good. Thank you, Brandon Rush.
- Squinting to see really good things for the Jazz.
- Chris Bosh says he'd take Derrick Rose over LeBron James as MVP.
- Jazz fans with a website, irate at a series of team decisions, insist on changes in management and, for good measure, refunds on various Jazz things they've bought in the last 60 days.
- Want to write about the Orlando Magic?