August, 4, 2011
By Henry Abbott
- The telethon to raise money for NBA players.
- Video of one of the best runs of the summer. James Harden, J.R. Smith, Cuttino Mobley, Kenneth Faried, Bobby Brown, musician Chris Brown and many others in intense highlights.
- Join me on HoopSpeak Live shortly.
- James Dolan has a lot of roles. Bandleader (opening for Aretha Franklin and singing a Knicks ditty, no less), NBA owner and ... person who gets most profoundly under the skin of a certain Kelly Dwyer. A review calls Dolan a "karaoke grade singer."
- In other "what are the owners up to" news, Ted Leonsis is on military flights over Washington D.C.
- Now on auction: Dennis Rodman's old Pearl Jam CD and his old filing cabinets.
- Forget playing in Europe. Play in the NFL. That's what Nate Robinson is musing about.
- As player salaries have been flat, and revenues solid, what are NBA owners spending on to cause all those newish losses? One theory: practice facilities.
- The number one rule of summer hoops is not to fall down defending the ball-handler. Especially with video cameras rolling. Michael Beasley's "whoops" moment. (Also worth noting: Awesome uniforms.)
- This idea that NBA players going overseas will damage the union ... I think that's all spin. It's incredible leverage for the players, because it annoys the owners to no end to see their best assets playing for other teams. Imagine if they ALL went. NBA franchises would be almost worthless. The more players prove they don't need the NBA for life to go on, the more the owners have to come up with a better offer. I know of no other tactic that so dramatically increases the players' leverage.
- What's going on in Darius Miles' life that he feels the need to, allegedly, travel with a loaded gun? Whole thing just seems sad. Also, a lot of people are wondering who'd try to take a gun on a plane, but it occurs to me that maybe the answer is somebody who is accustomed to flying charters, where those things simply are not as thoroughly policed.
- Kevin Pritchard's stay in Indiana could be short.
- The awesome Rondo cat.