August, 31, 2011
By Henry Abbott
- Insider Tom Haberstroh says LaMarcus Aldridge is like -- gasp -- Tim Duncan: "If you look at where Aldridge gets those 21.8 points per game, you'll notice more similarities with The Big Fundamental. No one will match Duncan's automatic bank shot ("Glass!"), but Aldridge is just as smooth with his midrange jumper. The advanced-statistics gold mine Hoopdata.com tells us that the Texas product shot 4.7 long 2s every 40 minutes last season, more than double what we'd expect from your average power forward. No, his shooting percentage from that zone (41 percent) doesn't quite match Dirk Nowitzki's, but consider that Aldridge drilled long 2s at a better rate than Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. That's smooth."
- The other day I talked to a guy who just hates the influence all these geeks are having on the NBA. This guy travels a lot, though. Perhaps this story of travel geekdom (loading a plane in half the time!) will thaw his feelings.
- Joakim Noah is very excited to get to stay in the Olympic Village in London next year. His French team has been driving past the village, which is under construction.
- We treat NBA games like man-on-man duels, when really they are team games. But LeBron James vs. Kevin Durant ... that was real. My favorite thing about the highlights: The crowd noise. Thrilling. Also, allegedly there was defense played, led by Austin Daye.
- If you were offered a great deal to play in China, would you stay home for YouTube and Twitter? Air quality would motivate me a lot more.
- Pau Gasol makes a good point: Can't win the title every year. He's also optimistic there will not be a long lockout.
- If drugs had not derailed Richard Dumas, the guy who got a key Finals steal and dunk from Michael Jordan might be a legend.
- Goran Dragic's brother and Slovenian teammate is named Zoran, which is awesome. Also awesome is the Painted Area's EuroBasket 2011 coverage.
- Bored in a lockout? Wizards owner Ted Leonsis suggest spending your time the National Portrait Gallery.
- Looks like Carmelo Anthony has been reading TrueHoop reader David's ideas.