November, 22, 2011
By Henry Abbott
- S.I.com's Zach Lowe asks Mario Chalmers what happened to LeBron James in the Finals, and the Miami point guard responds: "I'd rather not talk about that."
- A fascinating analysis of how people are taking the lockout on Twitter. Fizziolo.gy finds that with the passage of time, fans' sympathy for owners has waned to the point that now Tweeters feel for owners and players equally.
- Baseball approves a controversial new owner with ties to Mark Cuban.
- Kevin Durant's sporting summer, in doll cutout form.
- Jeff Van Gundy says he'll miss "the real disagreements" he had with Mark Jackson.
- Goran Dragic tweets about his new jersey. For a second I thought he was writing a travel guide to my home state, but alas it's a picture of him with his new Caja Laboral duds.
- The Sixers are saying goodbye to their mascot hip hop. More than a month ago I had a long conversation with the Sixers' PR guy where I explained my long-held belief that that bunny -- despite the opaque costume -- was the blackest mascot in the NBA. That so many fans felt so strongly about him always felt a little creepy to me. Do with this information what you will. I don't really want to explain it much more than that -- talking about the race of a bunny costume just gets too weird too fast. In any case, my condolences to the dude who lost his job, who always seemed like a perfectly good mascot to me. Here the team's CEO explains the decision.
- The Chris Sheridan school of negotiation fast-tracking.
- TrueHoop reader Oktay, in Turkey, reacting to Deron Williams' 50-points on 17-23 shooting e-mails: "To me this guy is the ultimate professional. As a big time NBA All Star, he came to Turkey and signed with the modest Besiktas, which isn't even one of Turkey's elite teams. With Besiktas he regularly plays in front of small crowds of about 5-7000. And yet he gives his all to help his team win. He doesn't care this isn't the NBA. Basketball fans in Turkey have found a new respect for this guy we already knew is hell of a player. But now we also get to know his character as a professional."
- Video and thoughts about J.R. Smith's Chinese injury.
- Brent Barry does not disappoint.
- Ben Gordon could quickly find himself at odds with the entire state of Georgia.
- HoopSpeak interviews one of those dudes who puts all those NBA highlight reels on YouTube. You have no idea how much work went into that great Magic Johnson highlight reel.