Like Everyone, I Assume the Pistons Will Win
May, 21, 2007
I guess my pick will be Pistons in six.
But man, I have the willies about it, for several reasons:
- It seems like every time anyone ever writes an article like this, or all the experts agree, they quickly get their comeuppance. This is almost like a leaked parade route.
- Is a motivated LeBron James like a motivated Shaquille O'Neal?
- We all remember, right, that the Pistons gave themselves two games off last series?
- It's unclear if anyone on the Pistons roster really thinks they have to do what Flip Saunders says.
- Detroit was something of a broken team for much of this season. Then they got Chris Webber and seemed fixed. But now Webber's no longer a big contributor. Does that mean they are broken again, or were they just not playing hard before? Is either of those the sign of a conference champion?
- Every now and again someone like Sasha Pavlovic or Daniel Gibson will start hitting shots.
- Cleveland has Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao, and Drew Gooden who will not cede the paint to the Pistons, who no longer have Ben Wallace.
- One of Detroit's best wins was damn-near derailed by an emotional breakdown, and if Rasheed Wallace gets himself tossed from any portion of the series the Pistons aren't nearly at their best.