If indeed the reported trade of Zach Randolph, Dan Dickau, and Fred Jones to Portland for Channing Frye and Steve Francis turns out to be fact, here are some thoughts:
- New York needs shooters. With those big bangers of Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph (I assume neither would settle for coming off the bench) they need to keep the defense from collapsing all night.
- I have the suspicion that Steve Francis will never play in a Portland uniform, which is also what Blazer broadcaster Brian Wheeler is reportedly saying too. If he is bought out, Portland could get cap relief equivalent to half of whatever salary he might earn, if any, from another team.
- Portland's salaries are getting much more reasonable looking ahead. In the summer of 2009, when Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge will be due for extensions, Francis will come off the books.
- I need to bust Blazer Blogger Casey Holdahl's chops for writing this earlier today, when this trade was rumored: "That trade makes no sense for either team. Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry could have been separated at birth, Channing Frye could be LaMarcus Aldridge's nerdy kid brother (if he wasn't older than LaMarcus at least) and Malik Rose is Malik Rose. That trade ain't happening."
- What about Channing Frye and LaMarcus Aldridge together? They are kind of clones. You can't get away with two spindly guys like that, can you? Very jump-shooty. And willowy. But you know what? With Greg Oden on the floor, you sure can have two guys like that. It's a new way of thinking for Portland, which now has a big defensive center.