Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Tweeting the Gilbert Arenas Suspension
By Henry Abbott
Twitter is afire with news that Gilbert Arenas has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the NBA:
- KevinDurant35 jus pray for whatever u think he needs, thas all im saying..we all kno he messed up
- AndrewMBogut Is it inappropriate to own a Water Pistol? What about if I had one in my locker and I sprayed someone with it? Im thinkin a SUPER SOAKER?
- AndrewMBogut But then my old man would ruin everything and plug in a Pressure Washer and kill us all haha
- teamziller Finger guns, man. We ain't talking about real guns (well, sort of). We talkin' about finger guns.
- docfunk David Stern just put 3 suspensions around Gil's locker and made him pick one.
- timkawakami David Stern suspends Arenas & upstages Redskins/Shanahan presser in DC. Obvious NBA retribution for Cowboys/Mavs conflict. (I joke!)
- langwhitaker Quite a birthday for Gilbert...
- bruce_arthur Contract voiding in 3...2...1...
- BulletsForever You can legitimately argue that the action merits a season-long suspension. I did. But to suspend someone over a prank instead?
- CSheridanESPN What tipped the scales in the Arenas case? My opinion: It had a lot to do w/photo you can see by clicking on espn.com nba homepage.
- CSheridanESPN ... statement from Wizards reeks of disgust, making me suspect they're leaning toward voiding Arenas' contract, a la Warriors w/Sprewell.
- chadfordinsider Can't put it past Stern RT @benfraley I'm guessing "PERHAPS WORSE" is something out of "The Godfather"
- STEIN_LINE_HQ ESPN.com sources: Some of Gil's closest pals pleaded w/him for days to stop being so chatty/unrepentant about the situation. Unsuccessfully
- dcsportsbog Jerry Stackhouse on SIRIUS XM earlier this week, speaking of Gilbert: "He's just kind of a pain in the butt sometimes."
- JonesOnTheNBA I know people have made this about guns, but let's focus on the gambling aspect for a sec. That is what caused all of this.
- thinkkaz Showdown at the O.K. Corral & Stern wins. Who would have thought the guy w/no guns wins
- kpelton When did David Stern turn into Roger Goodell?
- PDcavsinsider Don't expect any tears from Cavs over Arenas.
- HPbasketball crap but I do wonder this. On Stern's watch we have the Malice at the Palace, Stephen Jackson, and Arenas. Honest question...
- HPbasketball Do we overestimate Stern's ability to maintain tight control? MLBPA runs their show and they seem to have better luck ...
- PDcavsinsider Just saw Shaq. His thoughts: "You got to watch that Twitter."
- dcsportsbog New to me: After making a jumper against Memphis last week, Arenas playfully holstered his finger guns http://bit.ly/8nOrnK
- KevinDurant35 yea no doubt [h]e deserves to be punished
- russbengtson *waits for Stern to suspend the Suns for implementing the run and gun offense*
- teamziller The Finger Shots Heard 'Round the World.
- HPbasketball The NBAPA's statement can be paraphrased as "We're trying to figure out how in hell we're going to stand up in outrage for this whackjob."
- dcsportsbog Sweet! Gilbert's law firm just put out another fake, lawyered-up apology! How long until Gilbert subverts it on Twitter?
- STEIN_LINE_HQ More Gil: "Earlier today, I called Commissioner Stern to apologize, and I hope we will be able to talk soon..."
- HowardBeckNYT Arenas has set unofficial NBA record for most consecutive days issuing an apology (3).