Monday, March 6, 2006
Thanks so much to Kurt from Forum Blue and Gold and Jeff from CelticsBlog for running in the little hamster wheel all of last week to keep the lights on around here. They are both, as far as I can tell, truly stellar hombres, and Jeff gets extra special credit for, in an e-mail, telling me I was the mother hen "bustling about the nest" when I was telling them how to do everything on TrueHoop.
- Don Nelson was at the Oscars.
- It's nearly a week old: Frank DeFord on the decline of Catholicism in basketball. Really.
- The Team USA roster is at 22, and will be whittled down at a tryout camp. Sports Law Blog quotes a friend saying: "While I appreciate the concept of building a national team for the 28-month haul--and even changing the nature of the team--one smells a rat when Iverson isn't invited to COMPETE for a spot. (Barkley in 1984: Given a chance. Not the same deal here.) Is the goal to have ABI--Anybody But Iverson?"
- James Dolan on progress in New York: "You have to look at how you're doing on your 3-4 year plan. It's still early. I know it's hard to take when it's 15-41, but the mistake would be to say the strategy is wrong. The strategy is right. It's just more painful to execute than we thought."
- John Canzano thinks Nate McMillan's long-term commitment to the Trail Blazers is sounding a tad squishy.
- For the Lakers it's goodbye Slava Medvedenko, hello Jimmy Jackson.
- Whit Watson to Orlando fans: "You're going to love Carlos Arroyo, but not as much as his teammates will."
- Brian McCormick: will someone please set Rafer Alston free? "Please, NBA General Managers: hire one of D'Antoni's assistants as your head coach with the directive to play the same open court, exciting, free-for-all basketball as the Suns. Then, trade for Skip to My Lou and put the ball in his hands, a la Nash. That's what I want to see. Come on Atlanta, what do you have to lose?"
- Tracy McGrady needs a new back. For what it's worth, I had bad back spasms once, but swimming in the Mediterranean off several Greek islands totally cured it. Maybe the Rockets should look into that.
- Terry Pluto: Enough already on the whole booing LeBron James story.
- A list of NBA players from Washington State.
- Conspiracy theories about Emeka Okafor's injury.