Monday, October 11, 2010
By Henry Abbott
- Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke, quoted by Paul Hunter in the Toronto Star: "I really like Bryan (Colangelo, the Raptors GM). He’s a really good guy but I don’t like to be seen with him in public. He’s taller than I am. He’s better looking than I am. He speaks better than I do and he dresses better than I do. So whenever I appear with him, I come off looking short and barely literate and not well-dressed. I like Bryan but I don’t like getting on stage with him.”
- George Hill is trying to get Tim Duncan on Twitter. Hill posted a photo of Duncan's response. (Thanks, Tim.)
- Carlos Boozer's injury is getting a second look. Also, somebody should investigate his use of exclamation points.
- Remember when every team in the NBA passed on DeJuan Blair, and then he became a solid bench contributor as a rookie? This will get more embarrassing if he becomes a solid starter.
- A sports economist says to ignore everything the league or the players association says, and to expect there to be a new collective bargaining agreement much like the old one, because it's working pretty well for both sides.
- For no good reason: Video of the Celtics' locker room celebration from a couple of years ago.
- Your NBA video game may be infected with politics.
- Preseason is not meaningless.
- Against the Rockets in preseason, J.J. Hickson channels his inner Amare Stoudemire.
- Who doesn't love a good bully? I'm getting mixed messages from the NBA's Canadians.
- When you play a three-guard lineup, somebody has to guard LeBron James.
- An interview with the director of the "Once Brothers" documentary about how war affected the friendships of Vlade Divac, Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja, Toni Kukoc and others.
- Bret Lagree of Hoopinion on Mike Bibby, circa 2010: "Though Bibby does his best to make up for his inability to move laterally by gambling for steals and flopping at the merest chance of drawing a charge, he's a very poor defender. Moving Bibby to the bench and giving him the bulk of his minutes alongside Jamal Crawford, an out-of-position Maurice Evans, and the dregs of the post rotation would only exacerbate the team's defensive weaknesses. (I guess it could also turn the starters into rogue MVP candidates for hard-core plus/minus enthusiasts.)"
- If you're ordering referees to fix games, make sure the call is not taped, as happened last year in Russia.
- LeBron James talks about his mysterious elbow injury, a little bit.