Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Flop of the Night: Chris Paul
By By Beckley Mason and Zach Harper
HoopIdea wants to #StopTheFlop. To spotlight the biggest fakers, we present Flop of the Night. You can help us separate the pretenders from the defenders -- details below:
Chris Paul is the reigning MVP of TrueHoop's All Flop Team, so it's about time that he found his way onto Flop of the Night. Monday night's gem was vintage Paul: a breathtaking display of creativity and improvisation allowing the little guy to come out on top.
As his team struggled to find a spark, the diminutive point guard attempted to energize his teammates by driving his shoulder into Marc Gasol's kidney. In the process, he somehow convinced the officials that Paul himself had been the true victim.
So what happened here? We've broken down the footage, but the mysteries of Paul's wizardry go beyond our comprehension. Here are our best guesses at an explanation:
- Paul is inexorably drawn to Marc Gasol's musk
- Thought Gasol was all done pivoting
- Tripped over one of Tony Allen's many, many exclamation points
- Just wanted to see Marc Gasol's reaction. Totally worth it.
- Dramatized contact because Mike Conley had cut past him and was coming open under the hoop
When you see an egregious flop that deserves proper recognition, send us a link to the video so we can consider it for Flop of the Night. Here's how to make your submission: