Thursday, April 4, 2013
By Henry Abbott
- NBA hopefuls, and LaMarcus Aldridge, take note: An above average NBA 3-point shooter is far more valuable to his team than an above average 2-point shooter. Ian Levy writes for Hardwood Paroxysm about how we are funny in how we perceive 3s: "Corey Brewer is routinely lambasted for being such a willing and inaccurate 3-point shooter. But while his 3.7 three-point attempts per game generate 1.3 negative blog posts per week, rarely is Joe Johnson criticized for the 9.5 2-point shots he attempts each game, even though they generate essentially the same number of points per shot."
- Magic Johnson tells the tale of his son coming out of the closet.
- The inspiring tale of Ray King, playing for North Carolina Central despite cancer, bathing in bleach every night to ward off staph infections.
- Is the Rockets re-build -- keep a bunch of cap space around for a star who'll come somehow or other -- a road map for post-Josh Smith Hawks?
- Mark Jackson's "next level boldness" has the power to rearrange your thinking.
- Watch for "Millionaire Mama's Boy," a reality show starring JaVale McGee. Not kidding.
- The many ways Carmelo Anthony can kill you.
- Does Manu Ginobili remember the moment he was drafted? He does not, because he wasn't there, nor watching, because he didn't even know it was draft night. He had to be woken up.
- To recover faster from concussion, doctors told Nikola Vucevic not to read, watch TV or text. So what did he do?
- Jim Cavan for The New York Times on the Wizards' freakish recent defense: "Over the last 42 games, the Wizards are third in defensive efficiency (98.6), fourth in opponent field-goal percentage (43.3 percent), second in opponent 3-point percentage (33.1 percent) and second in defensive rebounding percentage (75.6 percent)."
- The sports fans perennial task: to imagine what a player might be.
- Kobe Bryant's off-ball defense really perked up against the Mavericks.
- Things have gone badly for the Suns. But does that mean a change is in order? Suns bloggers chew on Lon Babby's extension.
- LeBron's best game.
- The restaurant that thrives in the building owned by the Players Association, which has offices upstairs.
- Lawrence Frank, candidate to coach Rutgers?
- Not into Jay-Z: A.J. Price.