Redskins notes: Following Ryan Clark
March, 14, 2014
By John Keim | ESPN.com
Some leftover items from Friday:
- Safety Ryan Clark remains in a holding pattern with Washington. He tweeted early Friday a message that came across as highly pessimistic: “Redskins fans only following me if I'm going to be a Redskin can unfollow me for now! Still treating me the way they always have. Never know”
- But his agent, Joel Turner, said not to read too much into that tweet and then pointed out Clark’s next one: “I will always appreciate the Skins taking a chance on a 24 year old working at LSU. I will never forget what they did for me. Gratitude”
- And, Turner said earlier Friday that there were still three or four teams Clark is considering and he did not rule out the Redskins. Whether there's still a real chance remains to be seen.
- Meanwhile, the Redskins remain interested in free-agent tackle Donald Penn. Earlier Friday evening there was no visit set up yet with Penn, but CBS’ Jason La Canfora tweeted that Penn would be visiting this weekend. The Redskins would like to upgrade at right tackle. Penn had been a left tackle, but the feeling in Tampa, which released him, was that he was no longer effective at that position. Therefore, a move to the right side would be natural. Penn was visiting with Oakland.
- Cornerback Brandon Browner, who was supposed to visit Friday, never did and has agreed to a three-year deal with New England. His former teammate, Walter Thurmond, also did not visit.
- Tight end Owen Daniels visited and it was termed a good one by a team source. The Redskins like him, but no deal had been worked out as of Friday night.