Josh Reddick glad to leave Red Sox

Updated: August 31, 2012, 11:13 PM ET
By Jeff Fletcher | Special to ESPNBoston.com

OAKLAND -- As Josh Reddick watched from afar all that went on with the Boston Red Sox this season, he was sure of one thing.

"I'm happy to be here and not there," the A's outfielder said Friday night, before the first game of a three-game series against the Red Sox, who dealt him to Oakland last December as part of the Andrew Bailey trade.

Reddick was a particularly interested observer as he took note of the turmoil in the Boston clubhouse this summer, involving controversy and conflict with manager Bobby Valentine.

"I don't know what to think of all that," Reddick said. "That's their issue and I'm not going to poke fingers at somebody just because they are having struggles. Not everyone gets along with everyone they play for."

The contrast between the clubhouses in Boston and Oakland has been dramatic, as you would probably expect.

"This one is a lot more open," Reddick said. "It's a lot louder. It was more old-fashioned, with the veteran guys over there. The young guys didn't say a whole lot. Here we have guys like veterans Brandon Inge or Jonny Gomes and young guys that just got called up, and we all seem to run free and do our own thing.

"That's the chemistry we have in this clubhouse, and it's not going to change."

Aside from the off-field issues, Reddick has been happy with his new home because the A's gave him a chance to play every day. He has rewarded them with a breakout season. He has hit 27 homers and played an outstanding right field. Reddick has hit .286 with two homers so far against Boston this year.

"I think there is a good bit of personal satisfaction to show those guys what I can do if given the opportunity," he said. "It's a good feeling to show them: 'This is what I can do and you didn't give me the chance.' But I'm not going to be mad about it. That's the way the game goes. They had to do to what they had to do to get a guy they thought was going to be their closer and unfortunately it didn't work out for the first half because the guy gets injured. But you can never predict these things."

Meanwhile, on the Red Sox' injury front, Valentine said it looks like David Ortiz is doing better since having an injection in his injured Achilles.

Valentine said Ortiz "feels better," but doctors are not planning on having him rejoin the team this weekend. Valentine said it's possible Ortiz could meet the team next week in Seattle, but it seems more likely he'd be back next weekend in Boston.

Ortiz, who was placed on the disabled list Monday, underwent a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection this week.

Left-handed pitcher Franklin Morales, who's on the DL with a tired shoulder, has been throwing, Valentine said. Valentine said Morales will pitch again this season "without a doubt."

Left-hander Rich Hill joined the team Friday, and is expected to be activated when rosters expand Saturday. Valentine said the Red Sox aren't expecting to add any more players from Triple-A Pawtucket or Double-A Portland until their seasons end. Pawtucket had a chance to clinch a berth in the International League playoffs on Friday night. Portland's season ends Monday.

Valentine said he would be in favor of changing the rules that allow teams to expand their rosters to 40 players in September.

"You play the entire season to build a competitive advantage between your team and the competition, and then it's thrown out the window in the last month of the season," Valentine said.

Valentine said he'd actually be in favor of expanding the rosters in April.

"You get to see guys play in April under the lights and pick a real team and then you go to battle with that team through the postseason," he said.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

MORE MLB HEADLINES