Victorino, Ortiz to be in shave-off

Updated: November 2, 2013, 2:13 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

BOSTON -- The beards are coming off for World Series Most Valuable Player David Ortiz and outfielder Shane Victorino.

Shane Victorino
Ronald Martinez/Getty ImagesShane Victorino will join David Ortiz next week at Gillette headquarters in Boston as part of a shave-off promotion of their popular beards.

The two Red Sox players will shave Monday as part of a promotion.

Suddenly famous bullpen policeman Steve Horgan and a fan chosen by social media will join them during a shave-off at Gillette headquarters in Boston.

The Red Sox players' beards became a symbol of their solidarity as they went from worst to first and won the team's third World Series title in 10 years.

Horgan became a fixture in Boston after he was photographed with his arms in the air celebrating Ortiz's grand slam in the American League Championship Series against Detroit.

Whether or not to keep the beards had been a much-debated question among team members.

Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia said prior to Game 6 on Wednesday at Fenway Park that he's not shaving his, adding that with the exception of a few players who are getting married this offseason, the guys want to keep them.

Add Mike Napoli, who has the biggest beard of them all, to the list of players that will keep their facial hair.

"Yes. It's part of me now. Yeah, I'm going to keep it," Napoli said.

Another bearded Red Sox player felt strongly about shaving for charity. According to one team official, there has been some internal debate about the beards.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


EDITORS' PICKS

ALSO SEE