David Ortiz wins 6th Silver Slugger
NEW YORK -- World Series MVP David Ortiz has won his sixth Silver Slugger award as the top designated hitter in voting by major league managers and coaches.[+] EnlargeRon Vesely/MLB Photos/Getty ImagesDavid Ortiz won his sixth Silver Slugger award as the top designated hitter.
Silver Slugger awards are given to the top offensive player at each position in the American and National Leagues. They were handed out Wednesday night on the MLB Network.
Nine of the 18 recipients were first-time winners with major league home run and RBI leader Chris Davis of Baltimore taking home a bat-shaped trophy as the best AL first baseman.
Pittsburgh, Detroit and St. Louis each had two winners.
The Tigers' Torii Hunter (outfield) got his second.
Several players earned bonuses or salary escalators for winning the award:
Cabrera, Hunter and Ortiz each get $100,000 bonuses, while Hardy receives $75,000, and Bruce, Cuddyer, Davis and Molina earn $50,000 apiece. Jones' base salary next year escalates by $200,000 to $10.2 million and Cuddyer's rises by $500,000 to $11.5 million.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
- Not Tipping Their Hand
- The legal tampering period hasn't shed light on where the Pats stand with Aqib Talib.
- Momma's Boy
- Top Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini isn't above calling his mother for hitting advice.
- Dropping Into Place
- Rajon Rondo surpassed Bill Russell in career assists as the C's outran the Pistons.
- Sweeping Sunshine State
- The B's outlasted Tampa on Sat. and finished a season sweep of Florida Sunday.
- Regroup Project
- As March Madness heats up, where does UMass and other local teams stand?
MORE MLB HEADLINES