The Bristol County House of Correction's gang intelligence unit has finished its evaluation of Aaron Hernandez and Sheriff Thomas Hodgson told ESPN on Monday he's not as concerned as he expected to be when he saw the former New England Patriots tight end's number of tattoos.
Hodgson told The Boston Herald that Hernandez said he did not have any affiliations with gangs when he was questioned by investigators.
"We always take extra precautions. We don't have any definite issues at this point, but we're still being very cautious," Hodgson told the newspaper.
Hernandez, 23, is facing a murder charge in connection with the slaying of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, whose body was found June 17 about a mile from Hernandez's home. He has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.
Hernandez is acclimating well to jail and was moved Monday from the medical unit, where he's been closely watched since arriving, to a different unit. He will continue not to have face-to-face contact with other inmates, Hodgson told ESPN.
Hodgson told The Herald that Hernandez has been "very polite, very respectful."
"He doesn't seem nervous, which is unusual for someone who's never been incarcerated before," he told the newspaper.
Hernandez will remain in a cell by himself, but now instead of having just one hour a day outside that cell, he'll be allowed three hours. But in part because of his notoriety, Hernandez won't have contact with other inmates for at least another week.
When Hernandez is in the common areas of the jail, no other inmates will be there at the same time. He is allowed one hour to shower, an hour outside and an hour to see visitors.
If Hernandez has any intentions of marrying the mother of his 7-month-old daughter, it won't happen while he's in the Bristol County jail, Hodgson told USA Today Sports on Tuesday.
"I don't subscribe to that. I feel that those rights are things that you access on the outside, if you're a good citizen," Hodgson said. "We'll do everything we can to not have that happen."
Meanwhile, Bristol District Attorney Samuel Sutter on Tuesday sought the public's help in finding a car mirror that may be connected to the murder case. Sutter said Tuesday that the driver's side rearview mirror is from a dark gray Nissan Altima. He says it may be anywhere between Lloyd's home in Boston and Hernandez's home in North Attleborough, Mass.
On Monday, an assistant to Broward County Judge John Hurley said Ernest Wallace has waived extradition Monday and agreed to go back to Massachusetts from Florida.
Wallace, 41, faces a charge of accessory after the fact in the slaying of Lloyd. Wallace turned himself in at a Miramar, Fla., police station last week.
Prosecutors say Wallace and another man, Carlos Ortiz, were in the car with Hernandez when the three men picked up Lloyd on June 17, drove him to an industrial park and shot him five times. They have not said who fired the shots.
Ortiz is being held on a charge of carrying an unlicensed firearm in North Attleborough on the day Lloyd was shot. His attorney described Ortiz as a "gentle person" and said he had advised him to plead not guilty.
The three men are all linked to Bristol, Conn., where Hernandez grew up. Ortiz had been living in Bristol, and authorities had addresses for Wallace there and in Miramar.
The Hartford Courant also reported Tuesday that investigators were prepared to interview another Bristol man who was killed in an early Sunday morning car crash.
Multiple law enforcement sources told the paper that Thaddeus Singleton III, 33, was associated with Hernandez and of interest to investigators. Police said the car was registered to Hernandez's uncle, who is Singleton's father-in-law. Singleton's death was ruled an accident.
In another development, an East Hartford man who in a civil lawsuit has charged that Hernandez in February shot him in the eye outside a Florida nightclub, was served an interstate subpoena Tuesday to appear before a Massachusetts grand jury investigating the Hernandez murder case, the Hartford Courant reported.
Also, Boston police have asked authorities in Hernandez's hometown for their help with an investigation into a double homicide linked to the former NFL star, police said Tuesday.
The request from Boston police in the July 2012 double homicide was based on evidence developed through the investigation of Lloyd's slaying, Bristol Police Lt. Kevin Morrell said. He said police were asked to search the same home in Bristol for both investigations, and a vehicle was seized at the address on Friday.
Two people were killed in the shooting in Boston's south end on July 15, 2012. Witnesses reported seeing people inside a grey SUV with Rhode Island plates open fire on a vehicle carrying the victims, 29-year-old Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and 28-year-old Safiro Teixeira Furtado.
Boston police have declined to comment on whether Hernandez is being looked at as a possible suspect in that case.
Information from ESPN's Bob Holtzman and The Associated Press was used in this report.