FALL RIVER, Mass. -- Prosecutors in the case against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez have revealed that a key witness changed his story about the night Odin Lloyd was fatally shot.
Carlos Ortiz had repeatedly said Hernandez and Ernest Wallace, another defendant who is alleged to be the "right-hand man" of Hernandez, both got out of the car they were in with Lloyd before Ortiz heard shots ring out. Ortiz now says only Hernandez and Lloyd got out of the car.
Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter said Friday that Ortiz has been indicted by a grand jury for a single count of accessory to murder after the fact, a charge Wallace faces as well.
"The grand jury indictment means the criminal case against Mr. Ortiz will now start anew and move forward in Fall River Superior Court," Sutter said in a news release.
Ortiz had earlier pleaded not guilty to a gun charge.
The information about Ortiz's recanting was made public in a hearing Thursday in which a judge ruled Wallace should continue to be jailed on $500,000 bail. According to media reports, prosecutors after the hearing would not say why they had mentioned Ortiz had changed his story but that they didn't believe it made their case against Wallace weaker.
Wallace's attorney had sought $10,000 bail.
Wallace pleaded not guilty last week to the accessory charge.
Lloyd was found shot to death June 17 in an industrial park in North Attleborough, Mass., near Hernandez's home.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.