Patriots sign WR Austin Collie
More From ESPN.com
What kind of receiver is Austin Collie and how will he fit with the Patriots? ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss takes an in-depth look. Blog
The Patriots also released rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld.
Wilfork tore his Achilles tendon last Sunday night against the Falcons and underwent surgery this week.
Collie was spotted at Thursday's practice during media availability, though the team had not officially announced the move.
Collie spent training camp with the San Francisco 49ers but was released during final cuts. He worked out for other teams since then and now gets a chance to contribute for the Patriots, who put four of the team's six wide receivers on Wednesday's injury report.
A 2009 fourth-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts, the 27-year-old Collie was limited to one game last season because of a ruptured patellar tendon. He has also dealt with concussions in recent years.[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Greg TrottAustin Collie, who spent the preseason with the 49ers, joined the Patriots on Thursday.
When healthy, the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder has been a productive player. He had 172 receptions during his first three seasons, all with the Colts, and as a rookie he had 60 receptions for 676 yards while catching passes from Peyton Manning.
He will wear No. 10 with the Patriots.
New England (4-0) has been without top receiver Danny Amendola since Week 1 because of a groin issue. Rookies Kenbrell Thompkins (shoulder) and Aaron Dobson (neck) suffered injuries in Week 4 that limited them in practice Wednesday.
The status of all three was unclear for Sunday's road game against the Cincinnati Bengals (2-2).
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Todd McShay's new mock has the Texans taking a QB at No. 1, but it's not Johnny Manziel.
- Not Tipping Their Hand
- The legal tampering period hasn't shed light on where the Pats stand with Aqib Talib.
- Strength In Numbers
- Authorities have announced major security measures for this year's Boston Marathon.
- Momma's Boy
- Top Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini isn't above calling his mother for hitting advice.
- Reasonable Doubt?
- How a conspiracy of silence and a vanished gun have complicated the case.
- Dropping Into Place
- Rajon Rondo surpassed Bill Russell in career assists as the C's outran the Pistons.
- Stockdale New England Patriots Chrome Logo Auto Emblem
MORE NFL HEADLINES