Nathan Horton cleared for contact

Updated: July 24, 2012, 4:01 PM ET
By Brendan Hall | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- At a news conference Tuesday announcing a contract extension for coach Claude Julien, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli also told reporters that forward Nathan Horton (concussion) has been cleared for contact.

"By all accounts, from our medical staff, (he'll) be ready to play when it comes time to play," Chiarelli said.

Horton had not seen game action since Jan. 22, when he suffered a concussion against the Philadelphia Flyers. That was just seven months after the severe concussion he suffered on a hit from Vancouver's Aaron Rome in Game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.

In 46 games last season, Horton had 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points.

Chiarelli also announced that defenseman Adam McQuaid (concussion) has also been "completely cleared", while Tyler Seguin (hand) and Anton Khudobin (wrist) are on track in their recoveries, if not a little bit ahead.

Chiarelli also said Patrice Bergeron (oblique) is "completely healed."

SPONSORED HEADLINES

EDITORS' PICKS

  • Strong Step Forward
    The Bruins dominated the Red Wings to take a 2-1 series lead.
  • Heartbreaker
    Watching Jacoby Ellsbury shine as a Yankee hurt in more ways than one.
  • Thanks For Nothing
    Jon Lester and the Red Sox were overmatched by the Yankees on Tuesday.
  • Job Well Done
    First responders of last year were everywhere, just as determined as runners.
  • No. 1 Priority?
    Despite drafting two WRs last year, fans want to know if the Pats need more help.

MORE NHL HEADLINES