With the NHL lockout nearly a week old and with no end in sight, a few Boston Bruins players have made commitments to play hockey overseas to keep their skills sharp.
Forward Tyler Seguin, the ink barely dry on a six-year extension with the Bruins, signed with EHC Biel of the Swiss League, his agent Ian Pulver confirmed to ESPN.com on Thursday.
Seguin will become the fourth Bruins player who has reportedly committed (or is close to committing) to play overseas.
Defenseman Andrew Ference announced Wednesday night that he will play for HC Ceske Budejovice in the Czech Republic, indicating on his Twitter account he will report Oct. 7, barring the new collective bargaining agreement being worked out before then. Bruins center David Krejci is close to a deal with Pardubice of the Czech league, according to a report in the Boston Herald, and backup goalie Anton Khudobin signed with HC Atlant Moscow Oblast of the KHL in Russia, according to the New England Hockey Journal.
The NHL announced Wednesday that all preseason games through Sept. 30 have been canceled.
It's the clearest indication to date that the lockout could jeopardize the start of the regular season, which is scheduled to begin Oct. 11. What is for certain is that the Bruins will miss four preseason games: Tuesday's Sept. 25 opener at the Washington Capitals, Sept. 26 at the Buffalo Sabres, Sept. 29 versus the Winnipeg Jets and Sept. 30 versus the Jets.
The Bruins have three games scheduled for the following week, but they too could be eliminated if the lockout drags on.
- Net Benefits
- Loui Eriksson scored in his return as the B's got revenge vs. the Caps.
- Help Him
- What's the Patriots' biggest need on offense? We debate. You decide.
- Ranging Deep At Short
- Deven Marrero is the next SS behind Xander Bogaerts in Boston's talented pipeline.
- Going Down?
- With 21 games left, the Celtics are on course to land in lottery country.
- Commemorative Occasion
- Cam Neely recalls scoring 50 in 44 games in '93-94.
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Boston Bruins David Krejci #46 Player Replica Gold T-Shirt
MORE NHL HEADLINES