More from ESPN.com
Sidney Crosby's status for Wednesday's playoff opener against the New York Islanders remains uncertain, but there's no panic in Pittsburgh, writes Scott Burnside. Story
Crosby hasn't played since breaking his jaw a month ago, missing Pittsburgh's final 12 games of the regular season. He underwent dental procedures and was cleared to return to noncontact drills last week. Crosby says he'll see doctors again Tuesday and will not play until he is given clearance.
The Penguins thrived in his absence, going 8-4 without their captain while locking up the top seed in the Eastern Conference.
Crosby still finished tied for third in the NHL in scoring despite missing a quarter of the season. He had 15 goals and 41 assists in 36 games.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
- Spending Slump
- The Patriots have spent in free agency, but they haven't spent wisely.
- Starting Strong
- Red Sox lefty Jon Lester looked like an ace in his first start of the spring.
- Strength In Numbers
- Authorities have announced major security measures for this year's Boston Marathon.
- Right Direction
- As his confidence grows, rookie Kelly Olynyk keeps getting better.
- Reasonable Doubt?
- How a conspiracy of silence and a vanished gun have complicated the case.
- Reebok Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby #87 Black Cyber Name and Number T-Shirt
MORE NHL HEADLINES