Bundrage, Hernandez to meet Jan. 24
Former junior middleweight titlist Cornelius "K9" Bundrage and Joey Hernandez will meet in a world title eliminator on Jan. 24, Golden Boy Promotions vice president Eric Gomez told ESPN.com on Monday.
"The fight is all signed, sealed and delivered. Both guys signed their contracts," Gomez said. "K9 really wants another title shot and Hernandez is a very hungry fighter, so I think it should be a good fight. It's a very important fight for both guys."
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
The bout will take place at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif., as part of a "Golden Boy Live" card (Fox Sports 1), although Gomez said it has not yet determined if the bout would be part of the telecast.
Junior welterweight prospect Antonio Orozco (18-0, 14 KOs), 26, of San Diego, will face an opponent to be determined in the main event, Gomez said. Bundrage (32-5, 19 KOs) and Hernandez (23-1-1, 13 KOs) will be fighting to become the mandatory challenger for the title that Carlos Molina holds.
Last month, Golden Boy won the right to promote Bundrage-Hernandez at a purse bid. It was the only promoter to make an offer, just $11,000. As the fighter rated higher in the IBF rankings, Bundrage is entitled to 60 percent of the winning bid, $6,600, while Hernandez will get 40 percent, just $4,400.
Those purses are less than what many fighters would make for an eight-round preliminary fight.
After the purse bid, Bundrage, 40, of Detroit, said he hadn't made a purse that small since 2003 but that he accepted the fight because it meant an opportunity to get back into a world title fight.
"That purse bid was crazy, but this fight is more for the opportunity than the purse," Bundrage said at the time. "But I will beat Joey Hernandez and then go get my belt back."
Bundrage knocked out Cory Spinks in August 2010 to win a 154-pound world title and defended it twice before losing it on a majority decision to Ishe Smith in February. Smith then lost it to Molina in his first defense on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Canelo Alvarez undercard on Sept. 14 in Las Vegas.
Hernandez, 29, of Miami, has won eight fights in a row since a second-round knockout loss to Ed Paredes in February 2010, although he has not fought since November 2012.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Frampton to make first defense in hometown
- Klitschko to make 18th title defense in Brooklyn
- Pacquiao reply to Mayweather: Let's get it on
- Fury to fight in Feb., risk status vs. Klitschko