<
>

Quillin-Konecny fight set for April 19

Middleweight titlist "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin will make his third defense when he faces Lukas Konecny of the Czech Republic on April 19 at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C., Golden Boy Promotions announced on Friday.

The bout will be on the Showtime-televised undercard of the previously announced light heavyweight title unification fight between Bernard Hopkins (54-6-2, 32 KOs) and Beibut Shumenov (14-1, 9 KOs).

"I can't wait to get back in the ring and defend my title once again," Quillin said. "I'm excited to be fighting in front of the great fans in D.C., and I will give them a show on April 19. Konecny is an experienced challenger, and you can't overlook anyone with 50 wins, but I'm going home with the title, and I'll be looking for another knockout."

Quillin (30-0, 22 KOs), 30, of New York, has scored 12 knockdowns in his past four bouts. He won his title in October 2012, dropping Hassan N'Dam six times in a decision victory.

He defended the title twice in 2013, stopping Fernando Guerrero in the seventh round and then stopping Gabriel Rosado in the 10th on Hopkins' last undercard.

The 35-year-old Konecny (50-4, 23 KOs), a 2000 Olympian and the former European junior middleweight champion, is 0-2 in world title bouts.

He lost a majority decision to Sergey Dzinziruk in a 2008 junior middleweight title fight, and after winning an interim world title in April 2012, he lost to full titleholder Zaurbek Baysangurov by unanimous decision in October 2012.

"I have a lot more experience than Quillin, and the fans will see that on April 19," said Konecny, who never has been knocked out. "This is my first fight in the U.S. and I don't plan on going home without that belt. Every fighter dreams of fighting for and winning a world championship, and I am thankful for the chance to do that against Peter Quillin."

A third title fight is likely to be added to the card. Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that he is working to finalize a fight between welterweight titlist Shawn Porter (23-0-1, 14 KOs), 26, of Akron, Ohio, and former titleholder Paulie Malignaggi (33-5, 7 KOs), 33, of Brooklyn, N.Y.

Porter would be making the first defense of the belt he won by unanimous decision from Devon Alexander on Dec. 7. Malignaggi lost his title to Adrien Broner by split decision in June but rebounded to outpoint former titleholder Zab Judah in the main event of the Dec. 7 card on which Porter claimed his belt.