<
>

Juergen Braehmer defeats Eduard Gutknecht by unanimous decision

NEUBRANDENBURG, Germany -- Juergen Braehmer defeated fellow German Eduard Gutknecht by unanimous decision for the second time Saturday night to retain his WBA light heavyweight title.

The judges scored the bout 116-111, 116-111 and 118-110 in favor of Braehmer, who was clearly better in the earlier rounds and was able to withstand a spirited rally from Gutknecht.

"It was fine for the first six rounds," said Braehmer, who had been landing the cleaner blows. "I was clearly in control, but then from the sixth or seventh, I felt a pain in my left hand, and you know how it is. You don't want to take any risks. The opponent senses that too."

Braehmer, 37, had a cut above his left eye from a clash of heads in the ninth round. The blood encouraged Gutknecht, whose punches were wild or delivered from close. A point was deducted from Gutknecht in the 10th after a number of warnings.

"Perhaps I was over-motivated for the first four rounds," Gutknecht said. "I went in too eagerly and paid the price. Juergen is a clever boxer, and he used it to his advantage. There was too much for me to make up. I'm sorry I couldn't manage it, but I gave it my all."

Braehmer improved to 48-2 (37 KOs) after making the sixth defense of the vacant title he won by defeating Marcus Oliveira in December 2013. He had been scheduled to fight Thomas Oosthuizen, but Oosthuizen pulled out.

Gutknecht dropped to 29-4-1 (12 KOs). He also lost on points to Braehmer in 2013 in Berlin.