Alfredo Angulo joins Golden Boy
Junior middleweight contender Alfredo "Perro" Angulo, idle for 13 months while mired in promotional problems and unable to fight in the United States because of immigration issues, has a new promoter and a date to return to the ring after signing with Golden Boy Promotions on Thursday -- his 29th birthday.
Angulo (19-1, 16 KOs) is scheduled to return to the ring in his native Mexicali, Mexico, to face Joseph Gomez (17-4-1, 8 KOs) -- a loser of two fights in a row and three of his last four -- on Aug. 20 in a 12-round fight that will air in the United States on ESPN Deportes and be streamed on ESPN3.com.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Angulo, an all-action brawler with great crowd appeal, had been promoted by Gary Shaw, who said he finalized the sale of Angulo's promotional contract to Golden Boy on Thursday.
"I had the opportunity to negotiate a deal with Golden Boy and they had the opportunity to enter a new contract with Angulo, so henceforth, they will be promoting him," Shaw told ESPN.com. "I am totally, 100 percent out of the Angulo business."
It was a bitter experience for Shaw, who helped build Angulo, a 2004 Mexican Olympian, from an unknown in the United States to one of the hottest contenders and popular television fighters around.
Under Shaw's banner, Angulo appeared on Showtime's "ShoBox" series and then jumped to the bigger stage of HBO, where he scored several exciting knockouts but also suffered his lone defeat, a decision to former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron in May 2009.
Following the defeat, Angulo scored four knockouts in a row -- including a first-round destruction of former 154-pound titleholder Joachim Alcine in his last fight in a July 2010 title eliminator -- to move to the doorstep of a world title shot.
That's when Angulo's troubles began and his relationship with Shaw, who claims he "treated him like son," deteriorated.
Shaw secured him a fall 2010 shot against middleweight champion Sergio Martinez on HBO. Shaw said the deal would have paid Angulo a career-high (by more than double) $750,000 with the guarantee of a return fight on HBO in the event of a defeat -- plus the promise that his junior middleweight No. 1 ranking would not be impacted by a loss.
Angulo rejected the offer and, according to Shaw, stopped communicating with him. It also turned out that Angulo was in the United States with an expired visa. After being deported to Mexico, he was unable to get back into the United States. Until his immigration issues are resolved, Angulo cannot fight in the U.S., but he is still excited to resume his career.
"I always want to give the fans a great show and I work hard to get to my goal of retiring as a world champion," Angulo said his new promotional deal. "I believe Golden Boy Promotions is the right company to further my career and achieve my goals in boxing. I can't wait to become Golden Boy's next world champion."
Golden Boy, which promotes regular cards in Mexico, certainly has opponents it can match Angulo with in the junior middleweight division. It promotes popular titleholder and Mexican star Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, top contender Erislandy Lara and slugger James Kirkland.
"There are a handful of fighters who always deliver excitement whenever they're in the ring and Alfredo Angulo is certainly one of those select few," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said. "Alfredo has already accomplished a lot in this sport, but at 29, there's much left for him to accomplish and we're going to be with him every step of the way as he moves from being a star to being a superstar."
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter @danrafaelespn.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- McDonnell, Na Rachawat to vie for vacant title
- Briggs disrupts Klitschko news conference
- Hall will fight Butler in June to defend title
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76