<
>

John Molina Jr., Dan Goossen settle

Lightweight contender John Molina Jr. and promoter Dan Goossen, embroiled in a contract arbitration case, have settled their dispute and will continue working with each other.

They met face to face on Friday at the Los Angeles office of the California State Athletic Commission and were able to work out their differences.

"I'm excited to continue my career under the Goossen Tutor banner," Molina said. "There were some differences that we were able to get to the bottom of and now we can go back to focusing on winning a world title.

"I've been in the gym this whole time and I'm looking forward to showcasing my ability and showing the world that I am ready to take on and beat the upper echelon of fighters at 135. This is fair warning: (titleholders) Antonio Demarco, Ricky Burns, I'm coming for you."

Molina had sought to break his contract with Goossen, in part over the failure to twice finalize a fight with then-titleholder Brandon Rios last year. It had been heavily discussed, but not signed.

"I'm happy we've put our differences aside and now we're moving forward with our obligations to each other," Goossen said. "I'll get him back in the ring in June and then in his next fight or the fight after that, we will be looking for a world title fight by the end of the year. But I promised I would have him back in the ring in June and that's what I will do."

Of the arbitration, Goossen said, "John and I have always had a good relationship but sometimes there is miscommunication."

Molina (23-1, 19 KOs), 30, of Covina, Calif., has not fought since a fifth-round knockout of Robert Frankel last June.

Molina's only loss came in 2009, a 10-round decision to Martin Honorio, a two-time world title challenger who lost a junior lightweight title bout via close decision to Juan Carlos Salgado on Saturday.

Molina has won five bouts in a row since the loss to Honorio, including a dramatic comeback in a 11th-round knockout of contender Hank Lundy on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" in July 2010.

Molina was on the verge of a world title fight before the layoff and is excited about getting back to work. He also said he would have no problem going to Scotland to challenge Burns.

"Going to bed with a question mark over my head wasn't working for me," Molina said. "But me and Dan were able work out our difference and put things down on paper. I'm ready to fight. I want to get a title at 135 and then segue to 140. I'm not going to pull a Brandon Rios and not make the weight."

Molina's dig at Rios was in reference to the fact that he failed to make the contract limit of 135 pounds for back-to-back title bouts in December (which cost him his title) and April (which cost him a shot at that still-vacant belt).

"I wanted to fight Rios last year, it didn't work out," Molina said. "The beautiful thing is I don't have a lot of miles on me. I didn't start boxing until I was 17. I haven't hit my prime yet. I'm OK. Everything happens for a reason."

Despite the long layoff, Molina said he stayed in the gym with trainer Clemente Medina, who he has been with for about a year.

"I'm a gym rat," he said. "I knew the arbitration was coming so I have been in the gym. I am ready to go. (Medina) has implemented a lot of what I didn't have -- head movement and using my jab. I can't wait to get back in the ring. I think you'll see a whole new John Molina."