Lamont Peterson applies for license
Junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson will seek a Nevada boxing license despite his admission that he took a banned substance, which forced the cancellation of his rematch with Amir Khan.
Jeff Fried, Peterson's attorney, wrote to the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday asking that Peterson's application be added to the June agenda of the commission's monthly meeting.
It's going to be Peterson's burden to prove he didn't engage in any improper activities or that he has legitimate reasons for doing so. The commission will give him a full and fair opportunity to present his case.” -- Keith Kizer, executive director of Nevada State Athletic Commission
"We respectfully request the opportunity to present the relevant facts associated with Mr. Peterson's licensing, of which recent media reports reflect material inaccuracies," Fried wrote in a letter obtained by ESPN.com. "In this regard, we plan on having medical experts present at the hearing and we request a reasonable period of time for presentation of the facts by Mr. Peterson and his legal and medical teams, and to otherwise be responsive to any questions from the commissioners and/or their medical team."
Peterson won a controversial split decision against Khan to claim two world title belts in a December classic in Washington, D.C., Peterson's hometown. They were supposed to meet in a sequel on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
However, the fight was canceled last week following the disclosure that Peterson had failed a random drug test administered on March 19. He tested positive for synthetic testosterone, a banned substance. The results of the test only came to light last week.
Keith Kizer, executive director of the NSAC, told ESPN.com that Peterson's request for a hearing would be honored and that his case would be added to the agenda for the commission's next meeting, which does not have a set date yet. Kizer said it would take place during the second week of June.
"It's going to be Peterson's burden to prove he didn't engage in any improper activities or that he has legitimate reasons for doing so," Kizer said. "The commission will give him a full and fair opportunity to present his case."
Kizer added, however, that because Peterson has admitted to taking a banned substance -- whatever the reason -- obtaining a license "will be an uphill battle."
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Peterson has admitted to having testosterone pellets implanted inside him, although he claims it was done under the supervision of a doctor for medical purposes, an abnormally low testosterone level.
Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KOs) did not disclose the testosterone use to the NSAC or to the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, which was overseeing the random pre-fight testing that Peterson requested, which Khan (26-2, 18 KOs), of England, agreed to. Had Peterson disclosed the testosterone use, he could have attempted to get a medical exemption.
Nevada boxing licenses are granted on an annual basis and Peterson had not yet been licensed for 2012. But based on the commission's history in similar cases and Peterson's violation, it appears unlikely that he will be licensed. Multiple people with knowledge of Nevada regulations and the commission's stance on banned substances said Peterson's being granted a license is a long shot.
If he is not licensed, Kizer said the commission could bar him from reapplying for up to 12 months from the date of the test, although as a first-time offender the punishment has usually been nine months.
"But they could make it a full year from date of the test," Kizer said. "And there is no guarantee that they would license him after that either."
Kizer said that if Peterson is denied in Nevada he could still seek a license in another state but that other states "could recognize any action taken (in Nevada)."
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Mares, Charlo added to Dec. card in Vegas
- Mitchell, Joshua on same card in London
- Hernandez (elbow) pulls out of Afolabi fight
- Pascal to fight Bolonti on Dec. 6 in Montreal