- Dan Rafael, Boxing
- 0 Shares
After a chaotic day of negotiations between the representatives for Adrien Broner and Vicente Escobedo for a deal that would allow their fight to go forward, an agreement was reached, and they will fight Saturday night.
Without disclosing details of the agreement, Golden Boy announced the fight, which headlines a "Boxing After Dark" card (HBO, 10 p.m. ET), would go forward at the U.S. Bank Arena in Broner's hometown of Cincinnati.
"The fight is happening, and we're on," Golden Boy spokesperson Monica Sears said. "I don't have any other information."
Broner was stripped of his junior lightweight title at Friday's weigh-in for missing weight. He weighed in at 133.5 pounds, 3½ more than the division limit. Escobedo was 130 and will fight for the vacant belt.
Escobedo's team demanded a Saturday morning weigh-in, and manager Rolando Arellano insisted that Broner come to the 9:30 a.m. ET weight check no more than 10 pounds above the contract weight, meaning 140 pounds.
However, Broner weighed 143.2 pounds, with his camp insisting he was within the 10-pound limit of the 133.5 pounds he weighed in at Friday.
The difference over the Saturday weigh-in weight led to a day-long, dragged-out negotiation over whether the fight would take place and, if so, how much more money Escobedo would be paid.
Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez worked with both sides to see what could be done. Complicating matters, according to sources, was a division within the Escobedo camp with his brother, Jose, being against the fight taking place, and his trainer, Joel Diaz, and Arellano wanting to work things out with a stiff financial penalty imposed on Broner.
The 22-year-old Broner (23-0, 19 KOs) was already fined 20 percent -- $60,000 -- of his $300,000 purse by the Ohio commission for missing weight Friday. Half goes to the commission and the other half goes to Escobedo, boosting his purse from $150,000 to $180,000.
However, Escobedo (26-3, 15 KOs), 30, of Woodland, Calif., will receive another chunk of money for agreeing to fight as a result of the negotiation. Although the figure was not been disclosed, a source with knowledge of the negotiation said Escobedo will receive more than an extra $50,000 on top of the $180,000 he already is due.
Broner said earlier in the week that the fight would be his last at junior lightweight before he moves up to lightweight. Throughout his training camp Broner regularly tweeted photos of various kinds of junk food with comments about his love for it, suggesting that making weight would be a problem.
Welterweight Keith Thurman (17-0, 16 KOs) meets Orlando Lora (29-2-2, 19 KOs) in the scheduled 10-round co-feature Saturday night.
After a chaotic day of negotiations between the representatives of Adrien Broner and Vicente Escobedo for a deal that would allow their fight to go forward, an agreement was reached, and they will fight Saturday night.