Roman Martinez-Miguel Beltran set
Former junior lightweight titlist Roman "Rocky" Martinez will have another chance to win a world title.
Martinez will meet Miguel Beltran Jr. for a vacant 130-pound belt on Nov. 15 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Top Rank's Bob Arum said Saturday.
Martinez and Beltran will meet on the HBO PPV undercard of the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. middleweight world championship fight on Sept. 15.
Rocky Martinez -- no relation to Sergio -- and Beltran will be fighting for the belt that was stripped from Adrien Broner on July 20, when he failed to make weight for a title defense the next night against Vicente Escobedo.
Rocky Martinez and Beltran had been scheduled to meet in a title eliminator Saturday in Puerto Rico on a card headlined by former junior featherweight titleholders Rafael Marquez (41-7, 37 KOs) and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (21-2-1, 18 KOs).
However, that bout was recently postponed because Marquez suffered a hand injury. Top Rank first attempted to reschedule Marquez-Vazquez on the Sept. 15 pay-per-view card, but Arum said Marquez would not be ready by then so Martinez-Beltran was added instead.
Arum said that the Martinez-Beltran winner will make his first defense against contender Diego Magdaleno -- coming off Saturday's one-sided fourth-round knockout victory against Antonio Davis -- either at the end of the year or in early 2013.
"I am ready to fight for a world title. I've been ready for some time," Magdaleno said Saturday after thrilling his hometown Las Vegas fans with his destruction of Davis.
Also, the Sept. 15 pay-per-view card will include five televised bouts rather than the usual four, Top Rank spokesman Lee Samuels told ESPN.com.
Light heavyweight Mike Lee, the popular Notre Dame graduate and Subway restaurant pitchman, will be on the telecast in a six-rounder against an opponent to be determined. Lee (10-0, 6 KOs) knocked out Tyler Seever in the second round Saturday night on the undercard of Magdaleno-Davis.
The 29-year-old Rocky Martinez (25-1-1, 16 KOs), a native of Puerto Rico, traveled to England and knocked out Nicky Cook in the fourth round in March 2009 to win a junior lightweight world title. He defended the title twice in Puerto Rico before losing it via unanimous decision in Scotland to hometown fighter Ricky Burns in September 2010.
After a 13-month layoff, Martinez returned in October to score a sixth-round knockout of Daniel Attah.
A native of Mexico, the 23-year-old Beltran (27-1, 17 KOs) will be getting his second world title opportunity. Two fights ago, he fought to a two-round no-contest against titlist Juan Carlos Salgado in December. The fight ended prematurely because Salgado suffered a bad cut in the second round on an accidental head butt.
Also on the Sept. 15 pay-per-view card are two other fights that Arum and promoter Lou DiBella, who is co-promoting the card, have already unveiled -- junior featherweight titlist Guillermo Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KOs) defending against prospect Robert Marroquin (22-1, 15 KOs) and middleweight contender Matthew Macklin (28-4, 19 KOs) facing former junior middleweight titlist Joachim Alcine (33-2-1, 19 KOs).
Samuels said that Marquez-Vazquez will be rescheduled for Oct. 6, assuming Marquez's hand is healed. Also in the works for that card: former longtime strawweight champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon (35-2-1, 6 KOs) of Puerto Rico challenging titlist Moises Fuentes (15-1, 7 KOs) of Mexico for his old belt.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- NSAC elects Bennett as executive director
- Golden Boy wins bid for Russell-Lomachenko
- Pascal stays with longtime promoter Michel
- Titleholder Garcia files suit against Top Rank