- Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
A Florida judge upheld manager Gary Hyde's contract with junior featherweight titleholder Guillermo Rigondeaux and issued an injunction preventing the fighter from making his next defense, Hyde's attorney, Pat English, told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
Rigondeaux was scheduled to face Robert Marroquin in his second title defense on Sept. 15 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on the HBO PPV undercard of the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. middleweight championship fight.
However, according to English, Miami-Dade County Circuit Court Judge David C. Miller issued the injunction Tuesday morning after a hearing on the matter. There was no answer at Miller's office later Tuesday.
"The court held a hearing (Tuesday) morning, and the outcome was really two different things," English said. "One was to extend an injunction that prohibited Rigondeaux from participating in any bouts not approved by Gary Hyde pursuant to his managerial contract and also it specifically enjoined Rigondeaux from participating in the fight on Sept. 15."
In a previous lawsuit, Hyde had his managerial contract with Rigondeaux upheld in April 2010. Hyde and Rigondeaux worked together following that suit, but Hyde was not involved in negotiating the Marroquin fight and sued again, claiming that a two-year contract extension with Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KOs) kicked in after he won a 122-pound world title in January.
However, according to Hyde's suit, Rigondeaux "has recently refused to acknowledge the automatic two-year extension of the term of the agreement and refuses to contact or cooperate with Hyde and otherwise refuses to fully comply" with his contract.
"Gary Hyde wants to be on the same page as Guillermo Rigondeaux and further his career in the most lucrative way possible," English said. "He never wanted to go to court. It was forced on him."
When Rigondeaux's promotional agreement with Top Rank expired earlier this summer, they worked out a short-term agreement so Rigondeaux could fight Marroquin (22-1, 15 KOs) next month while they continued to negotiate a longer-term deal. However, Hyde was not involved in those talks.
Simultaneously, Hyde negotiated a deal with Top Rank rival Golden Boy Promotions, which was interested in signing Rigondeaux. According to English, the Golden Boy offer -- which Hyde wanted to accept -- was more lucrative than Top Rank's. English also said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum told him recently that the company would not match the Golden Boy offer, although Rigondeaux would still fight Sept. 15.
Now, Rigondeaux's promotional situation is up in the air.
"With respect to Top Rank and Golden Boy, we'll see how things shake out."
Arum told ESPN.com that he was unaware that the court had issued an injunction against Rigondeaux.
"I have no knowledge of it. I have to check in with my attorney," Arum said.
Unrelated to Hyde's suit, Caribe Promotions, a Rigondeaux co-promoter, is suing the fighter for breach of contract and was also seeking an injunction to stop the Sept. 15 bout.
Caribe says that its 2009 deal with Rigondeaux gave it "sole, worldwide and exclusive rights" to promote him for three years with language for a three-year renewal. Caribe later entered into a co-promotional deal with Top Rank. Caribe says that when Top Rank's deal with Rigondeaux expired this summer, it cut Caribe out of the new deal it was negotiating with him.
Rigondeaux, 31, a two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected and now lives in Miami, knocked out Rico Ramos in the sixth round to win a world title in January. On June 9, on the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley Jr. undercard, Rigondeaux made his first defense in spectacular fashion. He knocked Teon Kennedy down five times en route to a one-sided fifth-round knockout.