Guillermo Rigondeaux can't fight
A Florida judge on Tuesday denied junior featherweight titleholder Guillermo Rigondeaux's request for an emergency stay that would allow him to fight in September.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
The decision comes a week after the same judge upheld manager Gary Hyde's contract with Rigondeaux and issued an injunction preventing the fighter from making his next defense.
Rigondeaux was scheduled to make his second title defense against Robert Marroquin on Sept. 15 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on the HBO PPV undercard of the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. middleweight championship fight.
Miami-Dade County Circuit Court Judge David C. Miller, who issued the injunction against Rigondeaux last Tuesday, issued the denial to Rigondeaux's motion without comment.
"The ruling is not a surprise," Pat English, Hyde's attorney, told ESPN.com. "The merits clearly favored Mr. Hyde. We are just sorry that resorting to the courts has been necessary to uphold Mr. Hyde's rights."
Hyde sought the injunction and also to have his managerial contract upheld because promoter Top Rank made Rigondeaux's fight with Marroquin without his involvement or approval, English said.
In a previous lawsuit, Hyde had his managerial contract with Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KOs), a two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected and eventually won a world title in January, upheld in April 2010.
"The legal process is ongoing to how this plays out and should it not meet a logistical timeline then we'll have to move on with another Marroquin fight," Top Rank's Carl Moretti told ESPN.com. "We have a suitable replacement should Rigondeaux be unable to fight Marroquin because of the legal issues."
Moretti said that Top Rank is making alternative plans for Marroquin (22-1, 15 KOs), of Dallas, to instead face Oscar Gonzalez (19-1, 13 KOs) of Mexico, although it hopes to work out the fight with Rigondeaux.
Gonzalez has won three fights so far this year, all by knockout, in Mexico.
Moretti said Marroquin's bout would remain part of the pay-per-view telecast.
Also on the pay-per-view, former junior lightweight titlist Roman "Rocky" Martinez (25-1-1, 16 KOs) of Puerto Rico faces Miguel Beltran Jr. (27-1, 17 KOs) of Mexico for a vacant 130-pound world title in the co-feature along with former middleweight title challenger Matthew Macklin (28-4, 19 KOs) of England against former junior middleweight titlist Joachim Alcine (33-2-1, 19 KOs) of Quebec in a scheduled 10-rounder and Chicago light heavyweight prospect and Notre Dame graduate Mike Lee (10-0, 6 KOs) against Paul Harness (4-3-1, 3 KOs) of Saint Joseph, Mo., in a scheduled six-round fight.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Titleholder Garcia files suit against Top Rank
- Mendez, Barthelemy will meet in rematch
- Trinidad reaches debt deal to halt payment
- Alvarez, Lara to meet in nontitle bout July 12