Guillermo Rigondeaux's appeal fails
Junior featherweight prospect Robert Marroquin still will be a part of the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. HBO PPV card on Sept. 15 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. He just won't be challenging world titleholder Guillermo Rigondeaux.
Marroquin instead will face Alejandro Lopez in a 10-round nontitle bout, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti told ESPN.com on Thursday.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Top Rank had Lopez on hold but finalized the fight after Rigondeaux's appeal to have an injunction against him lifted failed Wednesday, killing the fight for good.
"Lopez was scheduled to fight in a couple of weeks, so he's been training for at least six weeks," Moretti said. "If he's anything like the kid that showed up against Teon Kennedy, this ought to be a heck of a fight."
In August 2011, Lopez (23-2, 7 KOs), 25, of Mexico, scored a 12-round unanimous decision upset against Kennedy in a nationally televised fight.
Top Rank was planning for Rigondeaux to make his second title defense against Marroquin (22-1, 15 KOs), 23, of Dallas until a Florida judge issued an injunction against him last month preventing him from fighting.
Gary Hyde, Rigondeaux's manager, sought the injunction, as well as to have his contract upheld, because Top Rank made Rigondeaux's fight with Marroquin without his involvement or approval.
This is the second time that Hyde has had his contract with Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KOs), a two-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist who defected and eventually won a world title in January, upheld in court.
Rigondeaux lost his appeal to have the injunction lifted Wednesday in Florida's Third District Court of Appeals.
"Top Rank respects the court's decision but we are extremely disappointed that his manager, his attorney (Pat English) and co-promoter (Caribe Promotions) would try and stop a kid from fighting when he wants to fight on Sept. 15 and agreed to pay these parties their agreed upon shares," Moretti said. "It makes no sense and is completely unjust -- but to be expected when inexperienced people let there egos get in the way of a fighter's development."
Added English: "The bottom line is that they appealed the injunction and their emergency appeal was denied."
Besides Marroquin-Lopez, the pay-per-view undercard will include former junior lightweight titlist Roman "Rocky" Martinez (25-1-1, 16 KOs) of Puerto Rico against Miguel Beltran Jr. (27-1, 17 KOs) of Mexico for a vacant 130-pound world title in the co-feature. Also, former middleweight title challenger Matthew Macklin (28-4, 19 KOs) of England will challenge former junior middleweight titlist Joachim Alcine (33-2-1, 19 KOs) of Quebec in a scheduled 10-rounder, and Chicago light heavyweight prospect and Notre Dame graduate Mike Lee (10-0, 6 KOs) against Paul Harness (4-3-1, 3 KOs) of Saint Joseph, Mo., in a scheduled six-round fight.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Huck fractures thumb, title defense called off
- Olympian Zhang goes pro, signs with Dynasty
- Groves requests 'neutral officials' for Froch bout
- Alvarez dispatches Angulo with TKO in 10th