Magee-Kessler scheduled for Dec. 8
Super middleweight titlist Brian Magee and former three-time titleholder Mikkel Kessler will fight Dec. 8 in Herning, Denmark, promoter Sauerland Event announced Friday.
Magee and Kessler, who signed to fight each other last week without a specific date or venue, will meet at the Jyske Bank BOXEN, a 15,000-seat arena that opened in Kessler's home country in 2010.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
The 33-year-old Kessler (45-2, 34 KOs) has fought in Herning twice in his past five bouts, including his hard-fought unanimous decision victory to win a title for the third time against Carl Froch in April 2010, a fight that was part of the Super Six World Boxing Classic.
"I look forward to fighting in Herning again," Kessler said. "The atmosphere was fantastic last time when I fought Carl Froch. The fans made the difference that night. Their support really lifted me to one of my greatest victories. With their help, I will become world champion again on Dec. 8."
Said promoter Kalle Sauerland: "The fans raised the roof that night. History repeats itself. We expect a sell-out crowd, a fantastic fight and another world title for the 'Viking Warrior.'"
Magee (36-4-1, 25 KOs) has twice previously fought in Denmark and scored knockout wins against hometown fighters.
He knocked out Mads Larsen in the seventh round in 2010 to win the vacant European super middleweight title.
In February, Magee knocked out Rudy Markussen in an interim world title defense. Magee, a 37-year-old southpaw from Northern Ireland, was later elevated to a full titlist and will be making his first defense against Kessler.
"It's up to Mikkel to restore the Danish fighting pride," Sauerland said. "But when he is at the top of his game, nobody can stop him. His KO over Allan Green (in the fourth round on May 19) was impressive. Magee is the next in line to taste the wrath of the Viking Warrior."
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Promoter postpones London card until July 20
- Cotto targeting Sept. 28 for possible return
- Andrade to have 1st world title shot on July 6
- Alexander was fighting with broken hand